Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this about a month ago and I'm just trying to figure out what to do with it.

Currently it's an 89 YJ, but not much left of the jeep itself. It's got Rockwell steering axles front and rear, 4 wheel disk brakes, 47's, hydraulic steering components, two winches, Bilstein coils & bumps, mastercraft seats, atlas T case. All the components are brand new.

My thoughts are that it is way to tall and I hate the cage. The back half needs to be tubed, at a minimum, if a guy were to finish it out. Looking for ideas. The guy had a duramax and allison in it, but wanted to keep those and I didn't want them so we pulled them out the day I picked it up. At this point, the current tube work is worthless at best.

Should I finish it out with the YJ tub? Find another vehicle and use the axles/coils and start fresh? My cousin has a 79 ford that would be an awesome donor vehicle. 460/C6. Would just need fuel injection. Wouldn't mind cutting it up either because it already has a custom flatbed on it and 38's. Fresh motor rebuild. Anyways, just an option. Would probably cut out a lot of time going that route or similar with another vehicle with decent driveline.

What does Pirate 4x4 think?

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Keep the good stuff and put it in something else. That chassis/body/cage would require a bunch of work to make decent and its really time comsuming to have to work around somebody elses ideas.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Keep the good stuff and put it in something else. That chassis/body/cage would require a bunch of work to make decent and its really time comsuming to have to work around somebody elses ideas.
I think that is definitely where I am at.

So...... opinions on what I should start with?

·
11,307 Posts
What are your plans wheeling style wise? What type of trails, etc? What are you in funds wise on the rig, and are funds and tim to build the rig you want available (I am assuming not a major factor?) I personally woudl lower the rig, modify the cage some pop the powertrain you have from the Ford and go have some fun. Then plan a take down and bigger winter project :D

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What are your plans wheeling style wise? What type of trails, etc? What are you in funds wise on the rig, and are funds and tim to build the rig you want available (I am assuming not a major factor?) I personally woudl lower the rig, modify the cage some pop the powertrain you have from the Ford and go have some fun. Then plan a take down and bigger winter project :D
I am targeting next March for completion. No real reason other than that's when I take an annual trip with friends to Moab.

This will be a crawler. Funds wise, not a real issue, although I'd like to keep it reasonable. At the end of the day, this will be a cut up rig on 2.5 ton axles thats value will be about 50% of what I have in it in parts and that's about it.

I think I'm going to do a full size truck of some sort. Either an old ford or mid 90's dodge/ford. I'll try and find something with a good engine/trans and cut it up. That'll save quite a bit of time if I find something currently running. For under 5K my options are virtually endless around here.

I have a charger project going right now too, that project is the real funds sucker. Seems like a never ending check cutting adventure.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
If it was me I'd look at WOD and their new jeep tube chassis "kit".

Wide Open Design Jeep Chassis :: Wide Open Design

That gets rid of the jungle gym and from what I can tell the tube could still be used to complete the WOD "kit". Not sure it was designed for Rockwells but I'm sure with a little Input from the guys at WOD it could work.

As for drivetrain it's hard to beat what's proven!! IMO 6.0L/4L80E and TWF Hero case and you would have a BADASS rig!!

If that is too big a hit on the budget use the Ford drivetrain that you mentioned earlier with propane.

Are the axles built? Seems like you are getting rid of most of what you bought.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice! That looks like a pretty clean buy. Are you going to put a bed on it or leave the flat/utility bed looking thing?
I'm going to tube the back half so that I can make the truck sit as low as possible. Will also tube the front and move the front axle forward a bit as well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts