Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have replaced everything now...including the coil and ballast resistor.

The thing is still running like shit...blowing mucho gas out of the pipes. Slow starting.

Soooooo I have two newbie like questions. Even though I have owned my rig since 92' I have never needed to know how to do the things that I am about to ask...So flame on:D

1) How the Fu*%$# do you loosen up your distributor to adjust the timing? I cannot get the one bolt that holds the eccentric ring loose. I think that all that is left is to adjust the timing but I can not get the clamp ring loose.

2) Holley 2300 carb...the adjustment screws on the side for the air/fuel mix, is it in or out for leaning up the mix? I want to make sure that I am not dumping too much fuel in...it has always been rich, it just always ran good...till now.

here is the post that I asked about last week:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=116361
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
I still think you have a fuel problem. Go ahead and adjust the timing if you can get it to idle. Only if it will idle. the 2 screws you describe are idle mixture screws. Only afect mixture at idle. If it's blowing black smoke thier not the problem but FYI turn them in to lean out the mixture and out to ritchen. First thing I would check is the float level and fuel pressure. If it's a mechanical pump it's probably not the problem. If you added a elec it needs a regulator. Float and or needle may be stuck from sitting. Holly carb right? Fuel level in the carb should be at the bottom of the brass screw on the side of the float bowl. Get the fuel level here then we can tweak it further for offroad use if ya want.
I think these things will solve your problem. Good luck.:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,809 Posts
Harvester of Sorrow said:


1) How the Fu*%$# do you loosen up your distributor to adjust the timing? I cannot get the one bolt that holds the eccentric ring loose. I think that all that is left is to adjust the timing but I can not get the clamp ring loose.

You simply loosen the bolt in the hold down clamp. That's it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Scoutaholic said:
I still think you have a fuel problem. Go ahead and adjust the timing if you can get it to idle. Only if it will idle. the 2 screws you describe are idle mixture screws. Only afect mixture at idle. If it's blowing black smoke thier not the problem but FYI turn them in to lean out the mixture and out to ritchen. First thing I would check is the float level and fuel pressure. If it's a mechanical pump it's probably not the problem. If you added a elec it needs a regulator. Float and or needle may be stuck from sitting. Holly carb right? Fuel level in the carb should be at the bottom of the brass screw on the side of the float bowl. Get the fuel level here then we can tweak it further for offroad use if ya want.
I think these things will solve your problem. Good luck.:)

Yeah...

Last night I tried to run it...

New coil and ballast resistor...no change.

It will idle, once you get it started. Brand new fuel pump, lots of gas in the new fuel filter.

Soooooo, I am yanking the carb this tonight. I cleaned and inspected it the last time I put a acc. pump diaphram in it. That was about a year and a half ago though...

Thanks for your thoughts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,797 Posts
I'm in the middle of replacing my tank due to it clogging fuel filters. I can start it with starter fluid, and get it running. It will only run at mid to high rpms due to the clogged fuel filter. At idle the pump cannot push fuel through the clogged filter. Mind you this is the third filter I'd replaced before I decided to pull the tank. You also have a screen on the pickup inside the tank that may also be clogged.

Also you may have water in the fuel.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Old Scout said:
May have a blowen power valve.

Can carb backfires blow a power valve? I have never "rebuilt" this carb. Only pulled it apart about 2-1/2 years ago to clean out some clogging of the jets.

When I tryed to start it up and load it on the trailer for our big move to Redmond, WA it did not want to start....multiple carb backfires...the big scary kind...:nuke:

Thought?:idea:
 

·
IH/Rover Moderator
Joined
·
20,917 Posts
Harvester of Sorrow said:



Can carb backfires blow a power valve? I have never "rebuilt" this carb. Only pulled it apart about 2-1/2 years ago to clean out some clogging of the jets.

When I tryed to start it up and load it on the trailer for our big move to Redmond, WA it did not want to start....multiple carb backfires...the big scary kind...:nuke:

Thought?:idea:
Yup a backfire is the most commom killer of a power valve!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well pulling the carb tonight...hopefully...dinner guests and all.

Scout is much more important than guests.

now that I have been informed that carb backfires are a culprit to blowing a power valve I will be truthfull....

Man you should have seen the flames coming out of that 2-barrel....My oldest son who was "helping" me get it started last year told my wife "man mommy daddy caught the scout on firrrrre". So I am leaning on the fact that Scoutaholic and Old Scout are right and that it is a fuel issue.

Though the ignition did need some attention.:D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeahhhhh....

Carb float level adjust bolt was missing the oring. And it was totally gummed up.

Acc. pump diaphram which is new still looks good.

Power Valve is fu(<ed! The inner spring body is seperated from the fabric. I imagine that sitting in gas for sooooo long and then having quite a few of my spectacular backfires took its toll on the thing.

The most telling thing is that when I pulled the carb off of the manifold the manifold was full of gas...like two great lakes of petrol!

Appreciate the input....Old Scout and Scoutaholic get the biscuits for the day!:beer:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,945 Posts
Harvester of Sorrow said:
Yeahhhhh....

The most telling thing is that when I pulled the carb off of the manifold the manifold was full of gas...like two great lakes of petrol!

Appreciate the input....Old Scout and Scoutaholic get the biscuits for the day!:beer:
Before you try and restart it after fixing your carb - you'll probably want to change your plugs. If you have gas pooling in the intake - your plugs are probably gas fouled beyond repair. I've been there, done that. Mine was due to a sticking float....
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top