Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a hookup on Combo RollingTool chest's.

I don't really want to spend $3k-5K for SnapOn. I just want a good setup for my garage.
I have Sears/Crapsman now and thet suck.. the drawers are too small and not deep.
Anyone have a decent roller bearing draw cabinet/chest that they like for under a thousand?

saw this at Costco ........any good?

http://www.homakmfg.com/homak/professional/professional1.htm

bennett

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I own that one, got it at Sams for about $500. I'm sure there are better units out there from Snap-on and the likes, but certainly nothing in the price-range, that I found.

It has roller-bearings for the drawers, the parts bins are handy, and I like the filing area for the reciepts/warranty crap.

My only complaint is the bling-bling stuff they put on the drawer pulls doesn't hold up to shop environments very well. Not a big deal, though, everything else is very well done.

I'd buy it again.

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
Kennedy.......

The last toolbox you will ever need.

Priced right from MSC or J&L tool.

Can't go wrong with the Brown!;)

·
Registered
732 Posts
Have you checked the Husky cabinets at Home Depot? I've never used one but they looked halfway decent.

FWIW, my Craftsman toolboxes are 22 years old and work like new. I've had more problems with my MAC top box than I've had with any of the Craftsman.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Thickness of the metal & roller slides make a big difference. I have an older Craftsmen (about 10 years old). OK, but they have gotten cheaper since then! I just use a little vaseline on the slides every couple of years. (slides are metal to metal... if you don't lube 'em... they bind pretty bad). Damn that sounds :rainbow: :bender:

Love the Kennedy boxes... wish I had one :)

Don't overlook the HUSKY brand (home depot).

After YEARS of having five little tools boxes, having a real tool box is just too sweet! Just need a bigger one! :)

Tom :usa:

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
I had a craftsman box.. dont remember how long it lasted, or how many times i rebuilt it.. finally gave the damn thing away. These days, i have a roller cart i picked up at the parts store, with 1/2" MDF screwed to the sides. Has one drawer.. and holds ALOT.. plus it is real easy to roll around. I figure i have about $100 into it so far (prob less.. cart was 65.. plus, wood, screws, etc).. I plan on getting another one.. just to have more room.

Garrett

·
Registered
207 Posts
Tool Boxes

Agree with rugburn on Kennedy stuff. If you can afford it go for the Professional Series stuff. Lower gauge mateirial (thicker) and they all have integrated tube frames, roller bearings, 100% drawer extension, all the goodies. If you or someone you know works in a machine shop, call Kennedy and see if they can send out their "Scratch and Dent" truck sometime. GREAT deals on it. I picked up the 52" professional series rollaround for 2/3 list. It was a display at a tool show and was in perfect cond. but they couldn't sell it as new.
my .02

·
Registered
324 Posts
I know you dont want to spend the money, but i have always said do it once and do it right. i would have to argue that it is worth the extra money to buy a snap-on or matco tool box. new sure they cost in the range of 3K but they can be had for less. go around to a couple of garages and ask if they have any or know of anyone selling out their box. many mechanics will have a 15K tool setup then decide to get out of it and part out there investment for half of what they have in it. good way to get the best tools. just my 2 cents

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have a Snap On KRL1003 I'd part with for $2,250. It's an Intimidator II limited edition. It's the big one, the triple bank. Located in Tooele.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
I got my Homak Proffesional box at Costco for about 300 less than the husky at Homedepot...tad over $650...41" wide,deep drawers, Bbearings ect...I like it a lot!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts