Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what tranny would be best ????

just getting ideas for now wanna know what you are running and what works/will work

thanks

:massey:

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Question. What about a 4spd auto out of an F150. Are they any good or are they really long.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
If it's an AOD,it's a pile of crap in any kind of heavy vehicle. E4OD, well, they make a C6 look small and are fully electronic...

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
66CJdean said:
Question. What about a 4spd auto out of an F150. Are they any good or are they really long.

Really reallly long

·
Banned
3,454 Posts
C4 or C6 ethier will hold up if you have them built right from the start.I would get it rebuilt with some lower gear's in it.Pick up a copy of a mustang mag and you will see some good places to have the tranny built.Art Carr would be a awsome choice of builders and they make a low gear set also.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
In the interest of keeping weight down, C4 is an excellent choice. There are boatloads of aftermarket gear sets available, and manual valve bodies. My Bronc came factory with one (76) and it's held up well for me. I have had one rebuild on it, not sure about PO's, there wasn't any documentation on my truck when I bought it. If weight and size aren't an issue a C6 would work just fine. The C6 is a little bigger and heavier than the C4, and definitely beefier, and also has some aftermarket goodies available. I think that 4,000 lbs may not be the appropriate cut-off point between the two, EB's are really heavy (~4200 lbs stock) and there aren't too many failures.

For manuals, a ZF would be my first choice. There is also the NV4500 and the 3500 series that will bolt up. The 435 has been a popular choice for years, and some folks even swear by the T18A.

Here is an excellent article on transmission choices for Fords (EB's more specifically) It's very informative, and will likely help you narrow down your decision.

·
Premium Member
3,960 Posts
lentech AOD
or a ZF

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sorry i should have said what kinda tranny i was looking at where would/what did they come in the c4 im going to be buying a altas so i need to decide wether i want to put it behind a t350 and a 4.3 or a c4/6 and a 5.0

:massey:

·
Registered
139 Posts
if its in a light whieght rig and you dont have much room i would try a toyota r151f it should hold up and then you could go with toy 23 spline case or cases advanced adapters should have a bell housing that would let you do that
good luck
kyle

·
Premium Member
3,960 Posts
Bigtoy22 said:
had the aod. works fine as long as ya have the ho or the truck model but needs deep gears as o.d is tall.

They do make wide ratio gear sets for them.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I run a C6 behind my Explorer 5.0 motor. It's built with the Ford Racing wide ratio gear set (2.74 first) and fully rollerized thrust washers. Also has the Art Carr reverse pattern manual valve body and upgrade clutch packs. Also installed a high ratio intermediate gear lever and "R" code servo.

Zero problems. Tranny combo with Atlas is about 2 inches shorter than my old NV4500 combo. I am very happy with it. The lower internal gearing and roller thrust bearings make up for the horsepower drain from running a heavy duty tranny with a smallish motor.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I will be running a C4 and Dana 20 (out of a '78 Bronco) behind my thunderbird 5.0. The tranny needs to be rebuild, but I am seeing rebuild kits average around $100. Cant imagine ($$) what rock-rod put in his...but sounds strong!!

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Stowe said:
I will be running a C4 and Dana 20 (out of a '78 Bronco) behind my thunderbird 5.0. The tranny needs to be rebuild, but I am seeing rebuild kits average around $100. Cant imagine ($$) what rock-rod put in his...but sounds strong!!
too much $$$, but I didn't want to have to jerk that stupid thing out again in my garage. I am also planning to do some motor upgrades down the road (ie supercharged 347 stroker) so I wanted something that would absolutely not fail with that kind of power.

This is really a nasty disease. I need help :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts