BTW the 8274's case is spilt top/bottom not a side cover

·
Registered
32,458 Posts
I would. Old uprights kick ;)

·
Registered
32,458 Posts
I donno man, I paid far too little for my 8274 and well, its skewed my sense of winch value ;)

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Lance has it. It's porobably a warn 5687, upgraded with an 8274 solenoid pack, brake assembly, and motor. :cool2:

Okay... mspaint time.

1) The clutch lever was a rod sticking out of the case, winch had a ~6" lever attached to it, and the lever had a pivot point (purple) on the side of the winces case. The other end of that bar was attached to a huge parking brake style cable (green& turquoise)that ran to a T-handle in the dash... and was controlled from inside the cab. It's like rigging a parking brake to an 8274 clutch.

2) EVERYTHING on the oringinal winch was run by 3 cables in the dash. First was that clutch. The motor was the second thing. Pulling on the cable operated a fatty switch (sperate from the winch, usually installed under the hood). It simply turned the motor on and off. No power-out. Your winch appears to have an 8274 3-wire (Guessinghere) motor, so it now has a standard warn remote, and will power both in and out.

3) The third control made this winch SUCK. Picture this: Replace the ratchet disc on the side of your winch with a smooth wheel. Around the outside of this wheel was a sheetmetal band that the third cable snugged against the wheel. This was your brake. You can guess how well it works. :rolleyes:

Again, your winch appears to either be a later model than the 5687 with it's band-style POS brake... or it was upgraded to an 8274 ratchet/disc brake at some point. :grinpimp:

If the brake and solenoid/motor work, that's a good little winch. Especaially now that it has no gay cable controls, and will power out. I will say that the in-cab clutch operation would be kind of nice, though. I doubt I'm the only one that's run the cable, hopped behind the wheeil, and discovered they forgot to lock the clutch back in. :)

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Look like an upgraded 5721 to me. The original was last produced in 1974, and Warn sold the rights to a company in Minnesota in 1992. I have never seen one upgraded like that, but hey, its looks pretty cool to me. Strong and Fast.....

·
Registered
838 Posts
I have one of the oldies that has the drum and cables. It's marked with a tag that says....Warn Bellvue. It has a different motor than the one in the pic, I no longer use it...but although it only had power in, it was a horse. I'd say that you got a keeper.

·
Registered
357 Posts
winch

yep had one of those on my '68 bronco when I got it...........probably a dealer add on and it had the in cab controls. Worked well, I was told it was a 6000# predecesor to the 8274.
Sold it for $300

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
What is a 8274 worth ? I looked at a car trailer yestarday that had one on it. It look a little like the one in the pic but if I remember correct it had mounting bolt holes on both sides of the drum not just one like the one in the pic.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
There are some that are labeled by Warn as model #8000 (the original).

I have not been able to find differences between the 5687 and the early 8000.

I have two and a friend has one all labeled 8000 (and, no, it's not the rating it's definitely the model #).

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
see my site, tech links, right column....recovery gear and info....all you need is there on that winch.

I ran one for 10 years and loved it

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Sillyneck - please post any info you have on the motor that is on there. Many people have these older winches, but the originals are case grounded, and have no power out. It looks like someone has converted that one, and it would be nice to have the info documented what motor will work to replace the case grounded one.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts