Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I scored this winch for cheap, and was told it was about 8000lbs capacity. I cannot find any info on it other than the fact it has a prestolite motor...

Are they decent or is it destined for trailer duty???

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Obviously modeled after the Warn Bellevue/8274 style... Plastic casings scream "Superwinch" at me by just looking at them, but that is just an off the cuff reaction.

May get you a starting point though :)

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input... It is a wierd winch. It has two chains and sprockets for reduction, what appears to be a friction brake inside the Tall end, and a motor set up for power in/out...

-Brett

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
trailer duty, because of the two chains and sprockets for reduction, what appears to be a friction brake inside the Tall end, and a motor set up for power in/out... You need reliabilaty (sp)

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I know what that is, it's an old, mid-1980's Superwinch OX. It's actually rated for 10,000 lbs, not the best winch design in the world but the one I had pulled Third World duty for ten years and never left me stranded, although it did have a tendency to blow one of the solenoid (the power out) on a regular basis. The clutch design was also kind of a pain.

Some of the early Camel Trophy trucks, when the event was still about wheeling and the guys didn't have to look like male models to qualify were equipped with Superwinch Ox's.

If it's in good shape and your rig's not huge, I'd use it on the trail. It's no 8274, but it was a good solid winch.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Henry,
thanks for the info! It has a brand new cable on it(from the PO), that has not even been spooled under load, and the internals look like they were only tested at the factory. Strange design is right, and what has to be the lamest fairlead in the world. I guess I can throw it on the cruiser afterall...

-Brett

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
What Cruiser? I had mine on an FJ70 (similar in weight to an FJ40, probably a little heavier) loaded for expeditions and it worked fine. I actually thought it was pretty fast, not compared to an 8274 but to some of the heavier duty winches.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Leave it to Henry to have the out of the ordinary knowledge that the rest of us never have:D

Cory

Stuck in the US most of my life:)

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
60seriesguy said:
What Cruiser? I had mine on an FJ70 (similar in weight to an FJ40, probably a little heavier) loaded for expeditions and it worked fine. I actually thought it was pretty fast, not compared to an 8274 but to some of the heavier duty winches.

Good Luck!
It will find a home on my FJ40(maybe 1000 lbs heavier than stock), soon to be finished... Funny you mention the soleniods, I looked at them and theyare pretty small, and only a single for each direction. Is that normal?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts