Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already searched and found some information.

I am looking for someone that has experience with narrowing a Ford Dana 60 Front axle into their YJ. I would love to leave the axle full width but PA laws don't alow. I've been in the garage with a tape measure and grid paper and can not figure out what would be the best width for the 60. I believe the Dana 30 had a WMS of 60" and I would like to add a few inches.

Another question is shock mount. I was planning on running dual shocks in the front but after doing a lot of measuring, there is not enough room between the inner C and spring perch. I'm guessing that I will have to mount a tab on the bottom of the knuckle.

Anyone have experience with my problems. I've been doing a lot of head scratching and know I need answers from someone who knows.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I guess it would all depend on what tire & wheel combo you'll be running and what hub/knuckle/brake combo you'll be running. I assume that your local laws require the tires to be under the flares. Figure out what the widest flares you can run are, figure out the overal coverage width from flare to flare, figure out the distance from the outer edge of the tire tread to the WMS, making sure that the rims you have chosen actually fit the hub/brake setup you have, subtract 2x(tread to WMS) from the overall flare coverage and you've got your WMS....witch will probably be too narrow to keep the tires out of the springs...who knows.

·
Registered
12,465 Posts
I have a front that has been narrowed to 64 inches, but with 15x10 wheels with 2.75 bacjspacing, and 14.5 wide sx's, I am still 84-85 inches wide outside to outside.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've done all the measuring with differant WMS lengths and wheel combos with differant backspacing. I actually have it all drawn out on my computer at work. But what looks good on computer might not work when it comes down to it.

I am just wondering what other people have done and what kind of clearance they have.

I am running a SOA with 1" Alcan springs, and M.O.R.E shackle reversal.

·
Registered
12,465 Posts
rls270 said:
I am just wondering what other people have done and what kind of clearance they have.

So do you want width or heigth ???

I thought I jsut gave you the answers you asked for? :shaking:

And why the hell would you wanna run dual shocks?????

·
Registered
617 Posts
I've had a number of different combos:

stock
stock with 0 offset

waggy axle (I believe 61 WMS) with -2 offset
waggy axle with 0 offset

full width (69 wms) with 0 offset

for wheeling I like the full width

for streetability, the waggy axle width with some slight negative offset works well, but still sticks out considerably from the flares - but I think you could cover it with wide flares.

On the waggy axles with 0 offset rims, I found this too narrow, and the rig tended to want to side flop off road.

If I were you, I wuld mount the flare I'm going to use, then take it out to the MAXIMUM I could get away with without bringing too much heat down on myself. Get a cheap 0 offset rim, mount up the tire you want, them alter the offset of the rims you are going to buy to make it JUST legal. IMHO.

If you are looking to get the tires under the flares, even extended ones, I think you are not going to want to go much wider than 61~62 inches, or you start running into problems getting rims that will fit without running into other stuff.

I DO have a friend (Charly in Maine) who used xenon flares, a full width 44, 12.5 wide tires, and HUMMER rims, and the tires were under the flares.

All of this is just my opinion.

HTH

Chad

(for reference, I THINK negative offset pushes the wheels out WIDER. I could be wrong, in which case make my negative offset numbers positive, because the offset definitely made it WIDER.)

·
Registered
891 Posts
I cut my rear 60 to 62" and the front 60 to 64"
Not under the Jeep yet but Keith is dead on what I had figured with 15" rims as far as track width goes. (about 85" front)
My front is a 91 all I had to do was match the perch on the long side and cut the long tube to get 64"
I 'm going to use re-centered Hummer rims.
I'm tubing the fenders to cover the tires.
Here's a shot of the rear cut to 62"

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
I went with 65" Front and 63" rear with 5" b/s

Track width is about 78" on the front

·
Premium Member
14,731 Posts
I went with 69 3/4 front and 4.5" of backspacing!
Go full width and make your fenders / flares cover the tires if your gonna drive it on the street :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm planning to run full width D60/14ff with stock Hummer Beadlocks on my 92. I am going to run Warn 7" TJ flares. I have seen 8" flares advertized but have yet to find a price on them listed anywhere so I'm not sure if it was a misprint.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts