Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok gang, here's what's shaking.

I'm parting out the '90 Classic. Have the rear axle completely gone, a-frame, trailing arms, everything. Sitting on spare tires at the moment in the back.

In the front I have the driveline removed, rear track rod removed, wheels and calipers removed. Brake lines drained.

My goal is to get the third member removed. That's the primary objective.

The secondary objective would be to get the CV's and axles out too.

So...do I remove the flanges and pull the CV's/axles then the third member.....

OR

do I pull the swivel balls out slightly w/hubs attatched and remove third member.

I have someone coming for the engine within the next few weeks, transmission is spoken for, B/W t-case is marginal, but unspoken for.

Interior is largely there (seats, etc...) dash is gutted. Headliner still doesn't sag! (225K miles)

Clean Oregon title

I'm wondering how long I keep this thing around for. I am pulling out the PS box, all the brake stuff (I did the non-ABS conversion on this truck), and relays, etc...

How much is the body (mostly straight, reasonable paint) and frame and title worth? $500? $1000?

I could drag it to my fathers farm about 500 miles away, about 1000 round trip. At 2bucks a gallon I'm wondering if it's worth it to ditch it, try to keep it until the home owners assn. starts to complain, or drag it to my dad's place.

HELP!!!!!

Michael

PS OS: this isn't supposed to be blatant, but just a solicitation for advice, I can ditch it if needs be. :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
i would say take what you can and ditch the rest
i do know of a land rover junk yard in LA that may give you some $ but then you still have to get it here
as for a frame and body with oregon title,
I doubt people would really want it if it's not pre-smog, but I may be wrong
good luck
is this the falcon?

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, it's the Falcon.

I figure even if it's not pre-smog, there are plenty of people who would love to have a clean title/frame that they could turn into, well, something more interesting than your every day RR.

I don't know of anyone like that though, so it may take a while. ;)

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So now that I have the knuckles off, half-shafts attatched, disks, etc...I'm wondering if it wouldn't be too stupid to carry those around as assemblies when I go way far off the beaten path???

If I were to do something like that, how would I go about packing them up and securing them???

Just wondering out loud.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Serious One said:
So now that I have the knuckles off, half-shafts attatched, disks, etc...I'm wondering if it wouldn't be too stupid to carry those around as assemblies when I go way far off the beaten path???

If I were to do something like that, how would I go about packing them up and securing them???

Just wondering out loud.
i think you should make rear steer on the 80" :D

seriously, i have it all figured out.

you take the stock rover rear housing (just the stamped part), and cut it down to the length of a front housing. then weld on some custom flanges to have the 7 bolt to bolt the swivel ball on, and then bolt on the outers.

for axle shafts, they would be the same length as front ones, so you could do the same warn shaft and CTM u joint treatment as you did on the front. unbreakable on such a little truck.

the turning circle would be siiiiiiiiick!!!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Carry them with a trailor. You would have to in a small vehicle. Make a universal joint similar to that on a wind surf board and have a trailor with coilovers.

In all seriousness, I wouldn't take the complete assembly. I haven't ever broken anything on a rover axle housing other than the inner axles. Third member isn't a bad idea to bring in your tow rig though.

Way

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I've never broken anything else on a rover axle also. But...I was thinking that it's a HELL of a lot easier to pull the entire swivel off than to rip into the hub and swap out CV's.

Just a thought, but the practicality of it isn't very good.

The third member, now that's something else I've never busted...someone else always does though (right TomW???). :flipoff2:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts