Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sceep said:
heavy foot?

yea no denieing that , but it was mostly all in the local mud hole ,hell we only went to attica 1 weekend with it :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
That's how it goes, since there are 7 teeth on the pinion and 37 on the ring gear. Once things start to fail the teeth on the pinion take 5.29 times more of a beating, and get chewed up 5.29 times faster.

Did you break the gears in? I think the break in is most important with the craziest ratios because they make the most heat.

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
Maybe a severe shock load? Did you dump the clutch and then it happened? It doesn't look like most I have seen. Usually there are shards and crisp cuts in the gears. Your's look like they are pitted and coarse.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not sure when it happened half way home rear started makin noise drove it about 10 miles the rest of the way tore it apart and thats what was found .

guess im just wondering if i should send them back or just suck it up and move on :shaking:

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tim84K10 said:
Did you break them in correctly?
500 miles of break in before it was takin offroad , in fact at 250 miles the oil was change then again at 500 .

this is the first set ive had that i havnt setup , wanted to be able to drive it to the trails with no worry's :shaking: guess i was wrong :laughing:

·
Registered
205 Posts
had exactly the same thing happen with a set of 529 toy gears i did a setup on-pretty sure they were precisions,too.take a good look at the pinion out of the housing-it turns out the pinion wasn't hardened right.it was still a bright silver color,not black,and the failure looks exactly like what you have there-chipping of the tooth face and not a mark on the ring gear.i wish i still had that around so i could take a picture of it-almost swear it was the same gear.

·
Registered
12,646 Posts
5.29 are junk to put into a toyota pickup, they are too heavy for them little pinions. I would use 5.29's but only if they were givin to me, and I would stick them in my bros sammi, and not a toy. the spool is a good indication that the gears are off roaded well. 1000 miles is pretty short life, but I have seen rigs that go 5k a year and in the last 5 years of having 5.29's have gone through 3 sets. and several other failures similar to this in other rigs owned by friends.
I took advice from a old man that has been wheelin his 81 yota since 81. don't go lower than 4.88, I took out one ring gear, but it was slammed into a rock and the housing punched off half a tooth. housing had the triangle shape stamped right into it from that tooth.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I"ll second the poor hardening thought -- that teeth damage looks too granular for properly hardened R&P steel....they should be really brittle and break off in large chunks at the stress points...versus the disintegration that those pics portray...

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
I had a 44 do that once, it was lack of oil.
We hadn't had the truck that long, didn't see any leaks so assumed it must have oil. :laughing:

Started up a bad hill and the front let go. It look like the pinion went through a lathe.
The ring gear was pristeen. There was a couple ounce of oil in the case when we cracked it open.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts