Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cut my balls off and rotated 180*:eek: . I just got my fj80 front axle and I dont want to go through all the hassles with having custom high steer arms made . My idea is to cut and rotate the knuckle 180* then the 2 bolt bearing cap is on the bottom and the 4 bolt cap is on top . The 4 bolt cap looks similar to the truck 4 bolt caps and I might possibly be able to use standard steering arms . The only downside I see right now is the calipers will be facing forward but I dont think this will be a problem as long as the steering arms clear the calipers . Is this feasable or am i not seeing the big picture here ?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was looking closer into it , I believe it would work by swaping the knuckles right to left and rotating the ball 180* , however the bearing cap stud spacing is about 3 or 4 mm wider all around than the toy truck caps . So needless to say I'd have to get custom arms anyway but they would be easier to build than OTT arms . The problem with the OTT arms is that they are semi one off productions built to order (dont quote me on that ) , There are two types of fj80 knuckles ,one with a ABS sensor and one without . Mine do not have the sensor bung , therefore I would have to send in my knuckles to be machined for the third bolt where the ABS bung is on later models , And I could easily see these arms being upwards of $600-700 with the arms , machines knuckles and then I still got to get the rest of the steering componants:rolleyes:

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
:eek: Umm, I'd go std. X-over then and run a sleeved tie rod. ;)

BTW isn't the tie rod behind the axle on these? I assume you run into oil pan clearance issues then though?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts