Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to sell my k-5 and get a pickup instead. It will be a weekend work truck for the farm and something that i will use to tow with every once in a while. I have been looking for a 3/4 or 1 ton 80's model chevy but they are to find in decent shape in my price range. I can only spend a max of $4500. What do you all think Chevy or Ford ? I would like a 3/4 ton or better since I will be towing some and the fords seem cheaper but I have always had chevrolets and know a lot more about them. Are the deisels in the 80's Fords ok? I have noticed a few F250's with 6 cyclinders, are these strong enough to do any towing? In another words if you were in my shoes what would you look for? By the way as far as the towing the load will be 6000 pounds or less 95% of the time with a rare case of 8-9000.

·
Banned
7,673 Posts
Get a 1 ton, your choice of brands.

A 6 cylinder has torque so it will pull it, just not fast.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I'd never own one, but...

They'll be harder to find alright, but definately go with a 1 ton chevy. All the basic components that people want, and in 87 TBI.

Edit: 90s cummins are pretty cheap too.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Here's the magic question: spare parts wise/specialty tool wise are you able to take on something besides a GM? For me it would be very unfeasible to go anything but Ford since i have all of the ford tools and all of my spares are ford. to go GM would involve me retooling and having to sell off my spare parts or start a second pile. If you aren't worrying about stuff like that i'd stick ford or chevy, dodges seem to be more expensive to fix.

Also ford put the 300-6 in one tons also. as has been said, it'll pull anything you want, but it won't hold the same speed pulling a grade on the highway as say a 350 or a 351w or a bigblock for that matter.

As for the diesels, they're about eqivalent to the GM diesels of the day (350 excluded), they're dirty, under powered, but if you want it pulled it';ll do it. put a turbo kit on it and everything'll magically wake up.

Justin

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
i had a 300 in an F150, they make a really good crawling motor, and it will pull forever, but there really isnt that much top end.

go dodge with the desiel.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I had an 85 F150 351 H.O. 4bbl with c6 auto. It ran forever and I towed 6000+lbs. all the time, no problem. It made it over 200,000 miles with no motor work, it needed a tranny at about 120,000, but that is almost expected.

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
After driving both Ford and Chevy at work for the past three years, My vote goes to Chevy. Kind of strange featuring I've never owned anything but Fords. The trucks I'm speaking of are specced nearly identically, same year, same capacity, etc. It just seems that anything the Ford can do, the Chevy can do better. Just my .02......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts