Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife blew up a set of 4.88 R&P's in her 4Runner - she's a hack. Anyway, I pulled the front diff out of my wheeler and put it in the rear of her truck to get her around for the week. Problem is that the pinion bearing doesn't feel to good.

So, I have to buy two install kits and one set of gears for sure.

When I put new bearings in the back of my wheeler, about 1/2 of the ring gear mounting bolts were stripped, so now I'm thinking I should just buy new 4.88's for the front as long as I'm pulling it apart.

So that puts me at 2 sets of 4.88's and 2 install kits.

Since the rear diff on my white truck is brand new (no miles on the gears at all), I'm wondering if I should just put those gears in my wifes truck and buy 2 sets of 5.29's for the wheeler????

The truck has a 4.3, marlin ultimate, ARB's and 35's. Plan to go 37's if it ever gets out of the garage. :) Also want to continue to be able to drive on the street during the summer months. I put about 3-4k on it last summer.

So... would you:
Buy 4.88's
Buy 5.29's??????

bkg

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
If your wheeler has a dual ultimate crawler, why not put 4:10s in it? They're the strongest and you don't need low R&P gears on the trail with a dual setup.

·
Registered
34,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TNToy said:
If your wheeler has a dual ultimate crawler, why not put 4:10s in it? They're the strongest and you don't need low R&P gears on the trail with a dual setup.
4.10's w/ a 4.3 and 35's would kind of suck on the road. I have never broken a set of gears (wife's 4Runner is a fluke), so I don't think I need the extra strength. The gears that are/were in the truck are 7+ years old, so I think the've done their job.

I decided to stick w/ 4.88's. Ordered up from Randy's and should have them installed this weekend.
bkg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts