Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I am new to the scout thing and 4x4 in general.

I ran accross a 1967 800 for free the other day and brought it home. Some fo the major components are ther but it needs a lot of work. It has the smaller of the 2 4cyl's and is a 3 speed with a twin stick transfer case. The engine is missing all of the critical things to make it start and is basical bare (starter, distributor, wiring harness, etc) It isn't sezied and the compression seems good.

A buddy wants me to put a toyota gear under the scout. Of course he also wants me to buy it from him. $500 for a 20r, 5spd with the transfer case. Plus at least an additional $300 - $400 for new flywheel, clutch and other misc. parts.

Basicaly I am trying to do a cost/benefiet between building the scout with the original parts or to build it with toyota parts. I know it would be much cooler with all origianl IH gear.... but is there any advantages to the toyota route.

It will have scout II axels.

Ideally I would like the truck to be a daily driver that gets moderate to heavy trail use. It needs to be able to do 55mph with 33" -35" tires as thats the only way it's going to make it to the trails.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

erik

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
efintel said:
I know it would be much cooler with all origianl IH gear....
erik
It would? An overweight 4 banger is cool? :shaking:

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
I don't know about a 152 turning 33s at highway speed. I had 27 inch street tires and 4.27 gears in mine and wide open it would do 65, maybe 70. For some reason 33s seem like a lot of tire for that motor. The 20r would probably be a better choice, lighter and more power.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
efintel said:
A buddy wants me to put a toyota gear under the scout. Of course he also wants me to buy it from him. $500 for a 20r, 5spd with the transfer case. Plus at least an additional $300 - $400 for new flywheel, clutch and other misc. parts.
Funny, I'm planning on using toy stuff too. I like the IH stuff, but toy stuff gives me better gearing for less weight.

Plus, I'm the blacksheep in my family, I own IH's, the rest own toyotas!

This is what I'm sticking in front of the transmission though, just to be different:

Ideally I would like the truck to be a daily driver that gets moderate to heavy trail use. It needs to be able to do 55mph with 33" -35" tires as thats the only way it's going to make it to the trails.
this shouldn't be a problem with gearing matched to your engine and tire size

NQS

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
If you are going to take tme time and money to swap why not go V8? 304.T19.D20(300) or some of the Chevy stuff?? I dont know man... at the end of the day Yota+IH just dont sound right. :smokin:

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
i would at least get a v6. maybe a TBI4.3L/nv3550/231 out of an early 90s GM fullsized pickup. i have that set up in my k1500 and its pretty good for a v6.

Callen

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Old Scout said:
It would? An overweight 4 banger is cool? :shaking:
Yeah, an overweight 4 banger would be really cool.... if it was a 4bta.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I can't imagine a Toy 4cyl powering my 800 :laughing:

The 304 is not enough for me, especially on long highway grades. Fine on the trail, though.

The IH 4 cyl made quite a bit or torque for its size, but I would not spend much money to put one back in there since it is a non-runner now.

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
mtroy said:
I can't imagine a Toy 4cyl powering my 800 :laughing:

The 304 is not enough for me, especially on long highway grades. Fine on the trail, though.

The IH 4 cyl made quite a bit or torque for its size, but I would not spend much money to put one back in there since it is a non-runner now.
Yea keep wearing those rose colored glasses. Yea It makes some torque for it's size, but tips the scale as much as most V8s! :flipoff2:

·
Registered
138 Posts
The toy 4cyl is not enough power for the scouts period! The IH 4cyl puts more power out and a lot more torque(sure they are fat and heavy for a 4cyl but they last.).You not gaining anything by the swap with the toy set up. You arent even gaining injection! The best way to go here depends on your pocket book and if you have the skills to do an engine swap(not saying you dont). With the correct exhaust and carb(yuk) you can make the IH 4cyl really work for you. Other wise put a Fuel injected engine of what ever brand you like and go wheeling. If you really want to have some GREAT fuel economy and power put a cummins 4bt in it!!!

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
Well, assuming I had the money. And I wasn't staying IH.

If it was a trail rig for me, then I would run a Mercedes diesel, probably out of a 300, backed with either the stock Merc five speed or custom adapter plate to what ever I wanted. Never looked into it too far.

If it was a crawler or I didn't want to go diesel it would probably be a Ford 5.0. Two reasons my neighbor is a Ford NUT and could help me with the build, score parts and such. And two it isn't a 350, but about has the aftermarket support.

Both engine I would push as far back in the engine bay as I could and lower them too.

In your case, I wouldn't go with the Toy, the swap doesn't seem worth it. I don't think the 20r would have the power to push around the heavy Scout. You may just want see if one of the 4's is a 196, sure it is heavier then a 350, but you can probably get the power out of it you need to do what you want, as long as you the axles accordingly. Also, I said NEED not WANT :flipoff2:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
cash is a definite issue

As you all could probably tell from my post... I am a definite newbie!

Thanks for all the input....
Couple quick follow up questions

are there any other options as far as a transmission goes for this vehicle? 4 or 5 spds?

would it be worth the time and $$$ to find and put in a IH V8 vs some of the other alternatives mentioned by others?

thanks
e

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
efintel said:
As you all could probably tell from my post... I am a definite newbie!

Thanks for all the input....
Couple quick follow up questions

are there any other options as far as a transmission goes for this vehicle? 4 or 5 spds?

would it be worth the time and $$$ to find and put in a IH V8 vs some of the other alternatives mentioned by others?

thanks
e
If I were going through the $$$ and effort to do a v-8 swap I would choose something other than an IH. I would probably go find a dime a dozen ford 302 and build it to do what I wanted.

Light weight, cheap parts, and a proven design that can be built to suit a 4x4 or a hot rod.

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
a couple ford suggestions yet I have yet to find ANYONE running a ford in an 80/800 :(

I should have mine goin by March..

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Brandon said:
a couple ford suggestions yet I have yet to find ANYONE running a ford in an 80/800 :(

I should have mine goin by March..
I saw one on somebodys web page that had a 427 in it.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Lycoming T-53.

Seriosly though, stay away from the toy stuff. I have seen a 302 powered 800 before. Looked right at home under the hood. :)

1 - 20 of 78 Posts