Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What years/models; Chevy V8 w/manual tranny?

Howdy, Toyota guy here looking for a chevy engine swap. I am planning on the good ol' chevy V8, ( most likely the 5.7L), probably the TBI. I hope to get the engine and tranny out of a running vehicle which should make smog (CA) a little easier too. :( CA smog make it a bit trickier, as I understand it DMV says, besides the ol' same year or newer, (my 4runner is an 84), it has to have the same tranny too, (that was avaliable that year), and has to be from a 'truck' not a car! My question is this;

1). What is the year range for the TBI? Or what are the year/model of any Chevy (from 84+) with any V8, (preferably the 350 though), mated to a manual, (SM465?) tranny that I could hopefully grab an eng/tranny combo out of??

2). What are choices of manual trannies in chevy trucks that were avaliable from 84 and up, I know of the SM 465 but was there anything else before the NV4500? Or was the NV4500 ever mated to a TBI eng?

Thanks
Jeff

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
Trucks with TBI came out in 87, and there are some with 4-speeds. The NV4500 came out in 91-92??, and they used the TBI as well. I don't think there was another trans besides the 4-speed, other than autos. Vans will have TBI, but I don't think I ever saw a van with a 4-speed, let alone one with TBI 4-speed.

·
Registered
729 Posts
NV4500 started in 93. Can get TBI until 95. Vortec NV4500 would be a sweet combo.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, but anyone know what vehicle I should look for say in a wrecking yard that will have the , TBI w/ Manual tranny, ( SM465 or NV4500 )

Just want an idea of the vehicle most likely to have this combo. I know most of the Chevy full size's probably had auto's.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
51 Posts
My 87 has a TBI 350 with a SM465 mated to it that came from the factory like that. Look for an 87 to 91 if you want the SM465 tranny and a TBI 350. I have seen very many pickups with this combo so it shouldn't be to hard for you to find.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
87Chev said:
My 87 has a TBI 350 with a SM465 mated to it that came from the factory like that. Look for an 87 to 91 if you want the SM465 tranny and a TBI 350. I have seen very many pickups with this combo so it shouldn't be to hard for you to find.

Cool thanks. What is your 87? Of course you're talking about the Chevy Full Size "Truck." Maybe the 1500, 2500, etc?
:D

Thanks!

·
FOF
2,864 Posts
First off I think there is some confusion here. You do not have to use the exact engine trans combo from the donor vechicle! But there are some differences in the engine set up witch relate to what type of trans it came with.

I would recomend you get a 5.7L out of a 87'-94' Chevy/GMC 1/2 ton truck that has a automatic transmission. Then mate that to what ever trans you want.

Heres why...
87'-94' are the TBI engines.

1/2 ton, because the 3/4 ton trucks have more smog equiptment.

automatic, because they didn't have a smog pump.

If you get a engine that had an auto you will need to get a new Prom chip for the computer for a manual application. When you go to the smog ref tell him the engine is out of a "G Van" of the same year of the doror vechicle. That is a application that had a engine without a smog pump and had a manual trans. This is a really clean setup, verry little smog stuff and will run great.

Good luck, and next time search!!!:flipoff2:

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
So, what year truck/van/car came with the 350 TPI and a 4L80e?

Would that just be any old mid-90's Suburban or 1-ton truck?

I'm looking for the engine to swap into one truck and the tranny to swap into another. I'd like to just buy one car/truck to get both components.

Thanks!

:flipoff2:

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
pepe said:
First off I think there is some confusion here. You do not have to use the exact engine trans combo from the donor vechicle! But there are some differences in the engine set up witch relate to what type of trans it came with.

I would recomend you get a 5.7L out of a 87'-94' Chevy/GMC 1/2 ton truck that has a automatic transmission. Then mate that to what ever trans you want.

Heres why...
87'-94' are the TBI engines.

1/2 ton, because the 3/4 ton trucks have more smog equiptment.

automatic, because they didn't have a smog pump.

If you get a engine that had an auto you will need to get a new Prom chip for the computer for a manual application. When you go to the smog ref tell him the engine is out of a "G Van" of the same year of the doror vechicle. That is a application that had a engine without a smog pump and had a manual trans. This is a really clean setup, verry little smog stuff and will run great.

Good luck, and next time search!!!:flipoff2:

Cool Thanks for the info Pep. But since I'm lacking your lingo... what the hell is a "G Van"? Sounds sweet too, if I don't need a smog pump.

And I'm not sure what you mean by 'some confusion here.' My understanding of the 'newer' CA smog law is; for a given year you can use any engine/tranny combo that was available from that manufacturer. Am I wrong? I hope I am.

Oh and usually when someone has the gonads to tell someone to search, they also inform them of a link to a similar post!

:flipoff2:

and remember, in the words of Smiling Joe Fision ... "Keep on Smiling!"

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yeh 84runner mine is a 3/4 ton pickup and in that year they called them V20's a K20 would be the same thing in an earlier year.
V10 = 1/2 Ton
V20 = 3/4 Ton
V30 = 1 Ton

·
FOF
2,864 Posts
dallen341 said:
Can anyone further define the G-Van? Does this mean vans, trucks, or other.

Thanks
I thought I had made it clear enough that a monkey could do this swap, but I guess not. A "G Van" is just that, a VAN! Think of it like this

C 1500 = a 1/2 ton 2 wheel drive truck.
K 1500 = a 1/2 ton 4 wheel drive truck.

ok now stick with me...

G 1500 = ...

You guessed it, a 1/2 ton Van.:flipoff2:

It really dosnt matter anyways, it's just what you are going to tell the smog ref when you get your inspection.

·
FOF
2,864 Posts
Serious One said:
So, what year truck/van/car came with the 350 TPI and a 4L80e?
I think they started to use the 4L80E transmissions around 90' or 91'. I have a 91' moterhome with one. Keep in mind that the 4L80E is a 3/4 ton trans and the 4L60E is the 1/2 ton trans.

·
FOF
2,864 Posts
Serious one, I think GM only used the 4L80E in their 1 ton and 3/4 ton applications. Like I said I have one in my 91' 32 foot Pace Arrow moterhome. That is built on a GM P-30 chassis (sp?) with a gvwr of about 15,000 or 20,000 lbs.

·
Registered
12,646 Posts
problem with the newer 465's in the tbi trucks especially, is the output shaft and housing are long to use for planetary gear reduction, chain driven t-cases. it turns out to be a fairly long unit. try just buying a tbi 5.7 and by a early 465 4wd with a 205, or 203.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts