Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, new here! Been a while since I've worked on a jeep but I just recently picked up a mint LJ. Looking to upgrade since its not crawl worthy yet.

I just found a guy near me selling a 05 D60 front and a Sterling 10.5 rear. Both have Artec truss with high-steer, geared, and are already fully welded specifically for TJ/LJ. They have minimal rust. The 10.5 has a LSD. It comes with the shafts(stock 35 spline), brakes, and everything to do an immediate swap.

How much would be a fair price for these? Like I said they look like they're in great shape. I've never bought used axle assemblies though.
Wood Plumbing valve Gas Machine Auto part
Automotive tire Automotive exterior Auto part Gas Rim

·
blatant asshole
12,767 Posts
#1 you need to make sure of the elxisting gear ratio and whether or not you can do them yourself.

#2 make sure its a d60 and not a d50. Its more than just side gears in the diff.

If theyre truely bolt in suspenion wise i could see paying $2k ish

If they got good gear that you want maybe $3k if they are truely complete axles.

No gears, incomplete, and need fabing $5-700

·
P.B.A.
4,496 Posts
I agree with newb. If the diffs have everything you want they become more valuable. If you have to regear them. They’re 1k axles with trusses welded on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
#1 you need to make sure of the elxisting gear ratio and whether or not you can do them yourself.

#2 make sure its a d60 and not a d50. Its more than just side gears in the diff.

If theyre truely bolt in suspenion wise i could see paying $2k ish

If they got good gear that you want maybe $3k if they are truely complete axles.

No gears, incomplete, and need fabing $5-700
Thanks! That’s all good info to soak in. Glad I asked because he’s asking a bit more than that and I was still tempted. Maybe I’ll just wait around for other housings and rebuild from scratch.

·
Registered
53 Posts
That's not a 2004 superduty axle. It will be a 2005+, otherwise known as a Super 60. I can tell from no signs of leaf spring perch on the drive side and the upper part of the C's. It will have a 10" ring gear.

This is what a 2004 D60 looks like fresh out of a junkyard:
Automotive tire Composite material Wood Gas Building material

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's not a 2004 superduty axle. It will be a 2005+, otherwise known as a Super 60. I can tell from no signs of leaf spring perch on the drive side and the upper part of the C's. It will have a 10" ring gear.

View attachment 3118791
You are correct. I misspoke. It is an 05. What would you think is a fair price for the set?

·
Registered
53 Posts
You don't have knuckles for the front and don't have wheel hubs or break parts for either ones. I'd say $2000 for the both would be considered a great price. $2500 I would consider average.
Consider if you did it from scratch. You can get both a front and a rear axle out a junkyard for about $500. Clean them up yourself, regear them yourself, spend about $1000-$1500 on lockers, new brake parts, hubs, knuckles, etc. plus all the time to do it all. Helps put it all in perspective on how much some are worth to you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You don't have knuckles for the front and don't have wheel hubs or break parts for either ones. I'd say $2000 for the both would be considered a great price. $2500 I would consider average.
Consider if you did it from scratch. You can get both a front and a rear axle out a junkyard for about $500. Clean them up yourself, regear them yourself, spend about $1000-$1500 on lockers, new brake parts, hubs, knuckles, etc. plus all the time to do it all. Helps put it all in perspective on how much some are worth to you.
It actually has all of that, I just didn’t post those pictures. The seller is asking for 5K and I personally was thinking it would be closer to 3.5~. You’re not wrong about that perspective. I wouldn’t trust myself doing gears/lockers. I’m pretty mechanically inclined, but not with precise measurements like that.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If it has all that and the gears you want. I would say $3000 is a fair price.
As for regearing, it's not as scary/hard as many make it out. I did my first ones with a harbor freight press, a cheap dial, a cheap bearing puller, and a cheap 1/4" torque wrench. Never had an issue with them, just took a lot of patience (pulling the carrier out about 20 times, but that's partly because I used a solid shim spacer instead of a crush sleeve). Billavistas regearing bible for each axle has everything you need and youtube helps supplement all the numbers and words.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If it has all that and the gears you want. I would say $3000 is a fair price.
As for regearing, it's not as scary/hard as many make it out. I did my first ones with a harbor freight press, a cheap dial, a cheap bearing puller, and a cheap 1/4" torque wrench. Never had an issue with them, just took a lot of patience (pulling the carrier out about 20 times, but that's partly because I used a solid shim spacer instead of a crush sleeve). Billavistas regearing bible for each axle has everything you need and youtube helps supplement all the numbers and words.
Really? Maybe I’ll need to man up and give it a shot then. I’ll check out the rehearing bible. Thanks for all the feedback!

·
Registered
81 Posts
2000-2500 if they have been regeard or decent lockers. If you buy them don't trust the previous owner and go through them, don't trust anyone who says fresh bearings and gears" unless they have receipts to back it up.

·
Premium Member
493 Posts

View attachment 3118791
That's partly true. Yes it's a 05+ 60 but that does not make it a super 60.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I parted out a F350 a year or so ago. I sold the rear axle for $400 for a quick sale and the D50 for $600. both were complete axles from disk to disk. I probably could of sold both the front and rear axle for a couple of hundred more a piece but I just wanted it gone as I was parting the truck out rather than making it a off road buggy. junkyaeds around here sell axles for about 350 complete. The places where they pull the parts can go in the $1000- 1200 range for a front or rear axle.

incomplete as those axles are I would say maybe 300 for the rear and 500 for the front IF it’s a D60.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts