Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bone stock 1979 CJ5 with a 304 cid, T-150 3 speed trans. I don't really like the 3 speed and would like to find a 4 speed instead but don't know which one would work best.

I'd like to find one that is a direct bolt in replacement if there is such a thing. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm a t18? would it nesessarily need the other transfer case? I have the Dana 300 (I believe thats what it is) I was kinda hoping for as little cash outlay as possible.

I drive this thing mainly to and from work and it doesn't see much trail time right now.

I figured that this had been asked before and should have searched for it, I appriciate the feed back and will take a look for the thread.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
If you aren't looking for strength, a T176 would bolt up to the 300 and be your cheapest swap.
I would still go with the T18 for the reasons of low gearing and strength. The adapter for the T18/300 is not cheap.

But...you better look again. Im willing to bet you have a D20 xfercase if it's all bone stock. The T18 is an easier swap with the D20

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But...you better look again. Im willing to bet you have a D20 xfercase if it's all bone stock. The T18 is an easier swap with the D20
I'm sure you're correct on that, I'm sorry to say I don't know all the components as well as I should, I am sure about it being a Dana though.

As far as the 176, what doner vehicles did they come in?

·
Registered
62 Posts
As stated the T176 is bolted to a d300. They come in the early 80 CJs. I have one in my 1980 CJ 7. If you have a dana 20 tcase then a T18 would bolt up fine. What is the reasoning to swap trannys? The T150 is a strong tranny. If ur not running trails and it's mainly a street jeep then why swap? Keep in mind the T18 1st gear isn't synchonized. Meaning you have to come to a complete stop in order to shift to 1st. Just food for thought.

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,813 Posts
As stated the T176 is bolted to a d300. They come in the early 80 CJs. I have one in my 1980 CJ 7. If you have a dana 20 tcase then a T18 would bolt up fine. What is the reasoning to swap trannys? The T150 is a strong tranny. If ur not running trails and it's mainly a street jeep then why swap? Keep in mind the T18 1st gear isn't synchonized. Meaning you have to come to a complete stop in order to shift to 1st. Just food for thought.
or double clutch.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Are the close ratio versions with the high first gear non-synchro'd as well? To the OP, as stated above, if it's a street Jeep what do you hope to accomplish with a 4 speed swap? If you want four gears that you can use, a t-18 with the deep first will drive no different than your current 3 speed in everyday use.
Travis..

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Novak Conversions has a pretty good database as to what will fit in what jeep and what the pro's and con's of various trannies and case's are. Check em out.

Im swapping a Np435 into my 2.5L Tj in the spring when the snow is gone and I can actually see my driveway...

Think Im going to go with a Bronco D20 case wise..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are the close ratio versions with the high first gear non-synchro'd as well? To the OP, as stated above, if it's a street Jeep what do you hope to accomplish with a 4 speed swap? If you want four gears that you can use, a t-18 with the deep first will drive no different than your current 3 speed in everyday use.
Travis..
The main reason I am even thinking about this is that the spread from second to third is so great it feels as if the engine is lugging pretty bad. If you shift it back into second then it's revving higher than what it should for the speed.

A change of gearing would probably correct this, but since I have never done that, I was looking towards something I know I could do.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I have a t18 I will sell you that you can put in there if you would like I have the adapter to the D20 on it you can have with it hit me with a pm. If interested Wes.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
engnmonkey;13822752According to the above links I found said:
That's correct. The wide ratio T18 is basically a T150 with an additional lower gear if you look at the ratios. I only use 2nd through 4th in normal driving with mine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I swapped a T18 AND A Dana 300 into my cj. The T18 is bulletproof and a beast on the trail but it's basically just a 3 speed on the street. 1st gear is useless on the road.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
My buddy's building a CJ5 w/amc360 and we found a T18/d300 with twinsticks and a new clutch kit for the trans for less that 500 via craigslist. You can find them semi cheap and easy.
No doubt. The adapter alone is worth that

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Does anyone know the ratios on the t-18 with the 4.5x first gear? All of the other transmissions with that high of a first gear have good close ratios designed to use all 4 on the street. This may be the way to go for you since it would accomplish what you want, and nobody wants them for wheeling due to the high first gear.
Travis..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts