Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1.Must seat 3 ,oops new baby on the way .must seat 4 people.

2.Be Very Depediable.

3.NOT be a dog on hills. :shaking:

4.Not Drink Gas ,like it's free.

Thanks inadvance

·
thhhpptthh!
46,718 Posts
grand cherokee

or soobi like OS said.

·
Registered
10,470 Posts
XJ. Good power, 20+ MPG stock, do very well on-road and are reasonably roomy, yet nimble enough. Mechanically they are rock solid. And can be had for not a lot of money :)

·
Premium Member
16,324 Posts
Mikel said:
XJ. Good power, 20+ MPG stock, do very well on-road and are reasonably roomy, yet nimble enough. Mechanically they are rock solid. And can be had for not a lot of money :)
you just mention jeep and no a lot of money in the same sentence? thats an oxi-moron

·
Premium Member
25,812 Posts
mobil1syn said:
you just mention jeep and no a lot of money in the same sentence? thats an oxi-moron
And mine bone stock, or even after I added a K&N and exhaust never got over 16 mpg. My buddy did have one go 143,000 before he ever put any $$$ into except brake pads, gas and oil!

·
Registered
10,470 Posts
My current DD is a 95 XJ (4.0, 5sp, power everything) that I bought 18 months ago with 135K miles, in very nice shape, for $3,500. 30K miles later the only problems I've had are normal wear items (starter and battery). I highly recommend them.

mobil1syn said:

·
Registered
10,470 Posts
A friend of mine has an 86 XJ 4 banger with 200K miles. I know this is not remarcable, but keep in mind that my friend has changed the oil a couple of times in the last 15 years. And the thing just won't die!! :eek:

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What kind of MPG will i get in the 4.7 Grand Cherokee

Mikel said:
A friend of mine has an 86 XJ 4 banger with 200K miles. I know this is not remarcable, but keep in mind that my friend has changed the oil a couple of times in the last 15 years. And the thing just won't die!! :eek:

1.So a 1997 or newer Subaru= AWD = good.

2.or a 1995+ XJ with the 4.0 and 5speed-if at all possible.

3.or a ZJ.?

Do V-8 ZJ's
come availible with 5-speed's ? :confused:

What kind of MPG will a 4.0 get over say a 4.7 V-8 in a Grand Cherokee?

And Thanks All Who gave Input too.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Go with the V-8 Grand Cherokee and try to get one without full time 4wd, will help with the mileage. I just sold our '96 ZJ for an '02 WJ. The ZJ had 125k miles and still pulled hard and rode well.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Mikel said:
I have had a couple of XJs and the best mileage i could get was 16-17 freeway with a tailwind. i can not believe 20mpg + i call BS

·
Registered
10,470 Posts
Go to www.naxja.com and do a search on the many MPG threads. There are people getting 24MPG on the highway.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12751&highlight=mpg

I get 360-380 miles out of almost every tank, taking 18-19 gallons to fill up (20 gal tank). Stock tire size, stock gears, stock speedometer gear... You do the math.
A well maintained, stock XJ should be getting 20MPG on the highway. Maybe it's time to do a tune up... :rolleyes:

Docfranco said:
I have had a couple of XJs and the best mileage i could get was 16-17 freeway with a tailwind. i can not believe 20mpg + i call BS

·
Registered
8,215 Posts
I would highly recommend a ZJ. I've had 5 XJ's over the years and they are great, but for kids (especially a baby), you'll want a ZJ. ZJ's have wider rear doors so it's easier to load/unload kids in car seats. Plus they have 4 coil suspension, so a nicer ride. As far as I've noticed, the V8's don't get much worse mileage than the 4.0HO, pratically the same. XJ's are VERY common and inexpensive to buy, but ZJ's run a little more $$; ZJ's do hold their value better though I think. Stock Jeep parts are inexpensive compared to other vehicles, and bone yards are full of them. There are many many parts that can be sawpped from XJ to XJ regardless of model year difference, except swapable parts dwindles a bit when trying to get certain parts off a '97+ XJ for say your '95.

Subaru would also be a good choice, but I would get that Volvo AWD wagon (S70?) before I would get a Subaru because 90% of the Subaru owners around here are not of the hetero community if you know what I mean.

As far as Jeeps go, you should be able to pick up about a '00 XJ (PWR everything, cloth seats) for your price limit, or labout a '98 V8 ZJ well equiped.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Rerock said:
Subaru would also be a good choice, but I would get that Volvo AWD wagon (S70?) before I would get a Subaru because 90% of the Subaru owners around here are not of the hetero community if you know what I mean.
Id bet that there are way more foppish metrosexuals driving Volvos than Subarus. I'd go with a Subaru. 2.5 and a 5 speed give you the opportunity for a spirited ride.

·
Registered
8,215 Posts
Id bet that there are way more foppish metrosexuals driving Volvos than Subarus. I'd go with a Subaru. 2.5 and a 5 speed give you the opportunity for a spirited ride.[/QUOTE]

Yes and no. Most metro's I've seen around here have like 325i's, IS300's, ya know that blingy, kinda pimp crap. Volvo's around here are more of a 'cool' station wagon for the folks who can't/won't buy a BMW or Mercedes wagon. But an XJ looks just like a Volvo wagon with a lift, so might as well get an XJ.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
What about a four runner?
Maybe not as much room as the Jeeps, but I would not pass one up on a good deal.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
4runner anyday. The motor and everything else will outlast any heep. And, for under 10k, you can grab some really nice FJ80's out there too. Get a mid 90's with stock dual lockers.

·
Banned
7,673 Posts
I haven't seen any overhead cam engine that could out last an overhead valve, so I'm going to call bullshit on that one.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts