Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, i'm just about to get a Millermatic 175 and will be needing a grinder..what is a good, affordable, reliable grinder? thanks.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
i use cheapy hf grinders....bought one 2 years ago and its still going. since they are so cheap i have a few.

1 for a grinding disc
1 for a sand disc
and 1 for a cutting wheel

saves time not having to change them out

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
i got a cheapo one from northern, it screwed up once but i just took it up there and got a brand damn new one, no questions asked!:flipoff2:

·
Registered
438 Posts
northern tool has deals on makitas right now free shipping & either a tool bag or accesory kit.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I use dewalts 9" grinder and a 4.5" grinder/sander at work all day long. I get about a year out of the 4.5s and the 9 just keeps going. I chose a dewalt 4.5 for the garage at home. $65 at home depot 2 years ago and still going.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
metabo or milwaukee if you can swing it... i had a ryobi and it rocked my ass untill i pushed it a little too hard tryin to cut a piece of 3/8" plate. :emb: got a makita now and really enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
10,037 Posts
sknydwn said:
i got a cheapo one from northern, it screwed up once but i just took it up there and got a brand damn new one, no questions asked!:flipoff2:
Did you get the warrentee with it? I have one from there thats a year or two old that died. I could prob fix it but dont feel like it:flipoff2: and would definately like to have 2 grinders. Will they let you return with no reciept?

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I love my DeWalt but you have to make sure to get the HD one. It is alot smaller than the milwakee but my brother has a milwalkee so i can just use his if mine ever doesnt get it done.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
of the "smaller" size grinders, I have a little beat-up craftsman.

I want to replace it with a 4.5" milwaukee. the milwaukee co.
makes a 4.5" and a 5" unit that is basically the same unit except
the 5" grinder has a slightly larger guard. this unit is a 12 amp
motor.......

most the little 4-5" inchers only run around 6-8 amp. the 12 amp
unit really rocks for a small grinder..... they're a bit heavier than
a 4-5" grinder. but you can still use it one-handed...

I also have a 7" dewalt. runs great with both 7-9" wheels, and
large cupped wire wheels.

--we had metabo grinders in HS, and they also kicked butt.

--Sherpa

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Get a wire wheel. Works great for cleaning into tight spots where the sanding disc won't fit.

·
Registered
28,619 Posts
I have absolutely beat the piss out of a 4.5" HF angle grinder and it scoffs at me. I can't even tell you how many times i've hung the blade, and it just keeps kicking.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts