Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well what i'm looking for is a good solid spring that's going to flex well with a rear 1/4 elliptic suspension. the rear i'm planning on using the blue torch fabs 1/4 elliptic springs, and i'm trying to figure out what would work good for a front leaf spring setup. the main plan is to find a spring from the junkyard, but i'm never opposed to new springs either. the vehicle weight would be around the weight of a jeep cherokee, give or take a few pounds. i'm also planning on using a 3/4 elliptical in the front to help it flex a little more.

Semper Fidelis,
Jared

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am on the same route that you are. Bluetorch use the factory YJ springs with an added main leaf. I might use either a 2" BDS spring or the RE 1.5". Mountain Offroad sells a shackle reversal kit with a buggy spring setup that would help with flex in the front.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i won't need a shackle reversal though. it's all kind of mix of vehicle parts. and the frame will be a new custom one. it's not really a jeep. more of a unique offroad vehicle...

so i'm going to need a jeep spring with about 1.5 to 2 inch lift? i was planning on making a buggy leaf setup, and the front is going to be sprung over. is there like a rear leaf spring off of some vehicle i could use? like a chevy or yota? i know i can get those cheap. but i guess i can hit up rubicon express for some leafs if not. Thank you.

all help is greatly appreciated!

Semper Fidelis,
Jared

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
buggy leafs are great for ramp champs but if you look around, no one runs them anymore. talk about bad handling characteristics.

the YJ leafs with an extra main will flex PLENTY! maybe use Waggy springs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so what you are suggesting is to get a rear set of yj springs and just add another main leaf to the pack? would i be able to just get a full set of yj springs. use the rear spring packs, and just use an extra main leaf from the front pack i'd also be buying?? or should i use 2 sets of rear springs to assemble the leaf pack?

Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
researching, collecting and ordering parts to my parents house, and one of my friends that helps out and does a lot of my major fab work. because i don't have the time. i'm just collecting the correct parts to start my assembly of my car based buggy. already have the dana 44's with moser axles, detroit lockers, ctm joints, 4.56 gears, and front and rear disc brakes, I also have the yota tcase. and I now have the 4.7:1 low range kit ordered. now i'm working on getting the suspension parts. also a set of 36" iroks and allied rockathon beadlocks will be on the way. that way it can be started right when i touch down into the USA again.

Research, preperation and gathering of parts to do the job. i'm just over here saving and spending the money towards my upcoming 4x4 project.

the question i have now is can i use the main leaf out of the front yj spring packs to put in the rear leafs. or should i just go through rubicon express and get teh stock springs and maybe buy a used set to add the main leaf??

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
yeah stock rears with the main leaf from teh front with the eyes cut off right before it starts to curve.

i run these and they flex plenty.
you will need bumpstops to limit your uptravel or else they will be wasted in no time. mine are too high now and my leafs are pretty tweaked. you can set it up for an inch or so past negative arch i would assume.

here's a poser shot for ya

:smokin:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you. so i'll be cutting up the front leafs. thank you. i really like the amount of flex on the front end. so i should put bumpstops somewhere around 3 inches up.

thank you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts