Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1974 FJ40 F Engine 3spd on the Floor

According to the current owner....

Here's the pictures. I can start it and it will idle perfect, but I just can't seem to get everything adjusted to get it to run well, but it was running great up until about a month ago. All of a sudden it just went to backfiring and sputtering. I know it just needs the carb and distributor and maybe the timing adjusted. I've driven it all over the place, so I know it runs
These are the pics he sent me via email. he lives here, so I can get more if I need. i am a 4runner man, and know nothing about LC's, so give me some honest help here....
I am seriously considering selling my 02 Tundra and buying another (cheaper) vehicle.
Would this make a good Daily Driver?
This truck is in Texas, by the way... Previously a California Vehicle.

What should I check, andy hints and tips?

·
Registered
426 Posts
flintstones, meet the flintstones......

and that's not the good later 1974 2F.

so let me get this straight. You are dumping a '02 Tundra with fuel injection, power windows etc for a '73 FJ40 with a webber carb and non disk brakes AND a 3sp to be your daily driver?

Buy a corolla or some other commuter- this truck would suck.

$3,500 would be high. It needs things like a drivers floor.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
I second that and have had a lot of experience with this type of vehicle. It has seen some money, the Weber 32/36 looks fairly new (so it rules out the carb, other than adjustment, but they don't "just" go out of adjustment without something tweaking it). My money says it got cold out and 1 month is really 4 or 5 months ago because there is no heat riser for the headers. So wait till the spring or spend another $200 to make it run all the time. Also, it could be the distributor. With eagerness to post here or to other Land Cruiser forums you can dig up a good ignition cheap enough.

But, it's not a bad place to start. I would not sell your tundra, save up a couple grand and welcome to the world of Cruisers. Or sell your Tundra, buy a daily driver and the Cruiser. I hope it helps...

·
Registered
10,370 Posts
I hate to discourage anybody from buying what appears to be a fairly decent FJ40 but if I was going to drive it daily I'de consider stepping up to a late 1975 or newer to get the 4 speed and disc brakes.

I realize any of these upgrades could be added but if this is truly going to be your D.D. the last thing you want to do is have it in pieces in the driveway as soon as you get it home.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes you are right... the pics are not from the same time.. however, I know where the truck is and can drop in at any time he said. (He went to H.S. with my wife....)

So I am rethinking the DD part and actually leaning towards buying it for my wife as her rig now.. (Would I reallywant to drive a baby blue truck? No... but she is a North Carolina fan. ;) )

so.. just as a 'toy' purchase... what is one of these worth in this condition?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts