Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
89 62, all original, Texas truck in Texas. I am the second owner and have left it completely unmolested... It has 112,000 miles. I am having a hard time convincing myself to build it, and somebody is showing interest in it. Should I sell and build a 60 or keep it and say fawk it?:confused:

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
natas6280 said:
89 62, all original, Texas truck in Texas. I am the second owner and have left it completely unmolested... It has 112,000 miles. I am having a hard time convincing myself to build it, and somebody is showing interest in it. Should I sell and build a 60 or keep it and say fawk it?:confused:
If you haven't noticed the prices FALL quite a bit in the last year, you may be in for a shock. I would have said $7K about a year ago, now $4500 would be reasonable given the low mileage!

Folks will think it should be "worth at least $10K" yet get shocked when a dealer offers them $2K on a trade it. Yep, told a neighbor his 62 would easily sell for $4K... he thought I was nuts, but accepted a $2K trade in value on it." :( [Red '88 or '89 FJ62... pretty sure the dealer auctioned it... too old for their lot].

Hint... not sure where www.kbb.com gets those prices, but they are :smokin: something!

EDIT: just looked at kbb.... $5200 retail, $1725 trade in value. Prices look a little more reasonable.

Tom :usa:

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
If it's got *absolutely no rust* (US, not Canadian definition...no offense intended), you're looking at a top level of $6,500-$7,000, depending on location. It might take a while to sell it at that level, but it depends on the truck. Forget about the "madness" prices of $11,000-$12,000, ain't gonna happen in this market.

What do you want to build it for? There really isn't much difference between the two, you can make a pretty decent medium-to-hard-wheeler out of either one, but if you're going extreme hardcore, I recommend not building a 60 at all, especially a pristine one. Auto tranny will be nice on the trail, fuel injection will help running at extreme angles. On the other hand, you have more electronics to contend with, and I for one have never been a big fan of the electro-vacuum t-case shifter.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
60seriesguy said:

What do you want to build it for? There really isn't much difference between the two, you can make a pretty decent medium-to-hard-wheeler out of either one, but if you're going extreme hardcore, I recommend not building a 60 at all, especially a pristine one. Auto tranny will be nice on the trail, fuel injection will help running at extreme angles. On the other hand, you have more electronics to contend with, and I for one have never been a big fan of the electro-vacuum t-case shifter.
I'm planning on just building it for medium trails. Id like a 60 just for the manual gearbox, however I do like my fuel injection. It just seems a shame to soa my 62 because it is sooo stock. Also I don't think a real trail rig should have power windows. I was hoping that for what I got for my 62, I could turn around and get a decent 60 and a trail condition 40.:rolleyes: But that's starting to look like a pipe dream.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Yeah, the power windows are a PITA, mine are so clogged up with crap that they barely work. On the other hand, the power locks are awesome, especially on a SO truck.

I doubt you could get a decent 60 and a trail condition 40 for your FJ62, that might be pushing the envelope. Assuming you get $7,500 for the FJ62, and only spend $2,000 on an FJ40, that still only leaves $5,500 for the FJ60. Not bad, but it will probably be a higher-mileaged truck, probably in need of maintenance, so you'll have to spend money on bringing it up to spec first before you can start the upgrades. With your FJ62, you can go straight into upgrades.

Just a thought, I don't see much of a difference between building an FJ60 or an FJ62 for the trails. Then again, my FJ62 is carburated and came with a manual transmission, so I don't have any real-world experience with the *fancy* FJ62's ya'll First Worlders got! :flipoff2:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
60seriesguy said:

Just a thought, I don't see much of a difference between building an FJ60 or an FJ62 for the trails. Then again, my FJ62 is carburated and came with a manual transmission, so I don't have any real-world experience with the *fancy* FJ62's ya'll First Worlders got! :flipoff2:
FWIW I would trade my fancy 62 for a third world princess in a heartbeat.:D

I guess I should stop being anal about it being stock and let loose on it already.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
natas6280 said:

FWIW I would trade my fancy 62 for a third world princess in a heartbeat.:D
That's cause you've never seen the Princess up close...she's a 50 footer, meaning she looks good at about 50' away, after that, you start noticing she'd led a hard life...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts