Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just dropped a 68' 327ci V8 in my project. It is usually running anywhere from 180*-190* but can sometimes jump up to as much as 230* if it sits idling for a while (like waiting in line to drop the boat in the lake etc...)...

What is ya'lls normal operating temperatures in your trucks/projects etc...

The 180*-190* doesn't scare me so much, but the 230* gets me nervous; Is that something I should be concerned with? I feel like I am going to blow a head gasket if I let it keep getting that hot...

I was considering ditching the fan blades off the cam/motor and going with an electric fan - but don't want to do the conversion unless my current temps are something to worry about...

Trucks running fine though....

Thanks for any input...

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
You probably have a bad fan clutch, or no fan shroud.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right I have no Fan Shroud - but it is because I couldn't use the stock shroud with the new motor swap.

But what is normal operating temperature?

Is 230* a "head gasket destroying" temperature? Someone on here some months back said there truck got that hot on a regular basis but I didn't pay much attention then because it wasn't a problem for me yet...

·
Registered
622 Posts
Most SBC's should run around 180 to 200 deg (again should I say street driven motors). My Small Block in my s10 usually runs around 180-190 deg, if I get near 220 then I start to get scared. I was having overheating problems before where the truck would run around 210-220 all the time. I ended up going with a Flex-a-lite 210 series fan (dual 12" fans) along with a 4 core aluminum rad (out of a Ford Thorus). With the new setup 195 deg is hot for me. I'd check the clutch fan and get a fan shroud like others have started. Personally I'd look at an electric cuz it gives you the ability to turn it on and off as you please.

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
ButteCo said:
Right I have no Fan Shroud - but it is because I couldn't use the stock shroud with the new motor swap.

But what is normal operating temperature?

Is 230* a "head gasket destroying" temperature?
So make a shroud that fits. Normal is 180-195 give or take a few degrees. It will take a lot more than 230 to "destroy a head gasket". Are you sure it's really 230 degrees? What kind of gauge do you have, elec or mech, factory or aftermarket, brand? Then shoot it with a heat gun and see what you really have.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a mechanical guage I bought from summit. It says 230* after it has been idling for nearly 15-20mins. It never gets hotter than that.

So are the HP and "snappier motor" gains worth buying an electric fan and thermostatic control. It is going to cost me about $20-30 for the fan and about $30 for the install kit vs. about $10 for a junkyard fan shroud or $20-30 for some aluminum or thin guage steel to try and make my own... What do you all suggest?

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
ButteCo said:
What do you all suggest?
I suggest you pick one place and post your questions there.

Once again, are you sure it's really 230? Have you used a heat gun and checked to make sure the gauge is correct?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't have a heat gun and I trust the guage. I just bought it -- It is BRAND NEW. It runs at 170-185* during normal driving conditions and it slowly rises up to as much as 230* while idling for 15-20mins...

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
ButteCo said:
I don't have a heat gun and I trust the guage. I just bought it -- It is BRAND NEW. It runs at 170-185* during normal driving conditions and it slowly rises up to as much as 230* while idling for 15-20mins...
Make a fan shroud it's easy and should solve your problem.

·
Vertical Limits
5,037 Posts
fan shroud, all the way. if that isn't it, your clutch is prob giving out. electric fans are nice, but I have found them to be a pain in the ass in the end compared to a good old reliable ass factory set up where space isn't a concern. 230 isn't that bad, just watch it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts