Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have an "Old School" full hydro system. It includes
chevy pump with WTOR mod
single ended chief ram
low steer
-6 lines
volvo AT cooler
charlyn orbital which I will keep

All in all it sucks ass. Ive been through 2 pumps in 3 trips, tie rod hits ram and fittings, leaks.

Now without bias what exactly should I get. I'm ready for the good shit now.
High steer
double ended ram
ect

Which brands or vendor should I look into PSC, KRC, Howe, Station???

This will be on my 22re toy w/ d60 and leaf springs. Pics of D60 w/ leafs and double ended ram high steer would be nice also.

Thanks

PM if you think you might ruffle some feathers

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
i hate to give bad publicity, but my krc pump sucked. it has less pressure than all the competition, the check valve failed after 4 days, it cant share pulleys with all the other t/c style pumps (krc is splined, the others are press on), and for some reason, they decided to put the pressure outlet on the opposite side as every one else.

i just installed one from station and the 1450 psi and 4 gpm is lots better, but my rig needs to lose some serious weight. and i need to get rid of my single ended ram. i couldnt figure out how to go double with my leaves up front, without lifting it more than the 2" i already have.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Do a search. You are going to see 2 continue to pop up.

One is PSC, Here is the link. http://www.pscmotorsports.com/ I think they are giving out some real good deals right now.

The second is a guy that is on the board all the time. He goes by Station.
His name is Sean. Here is the link. http://performanceoff-road.com/

Station will give you more info than most will understand and more than most can remember on the whats, whys, and how comes. He is a great source of info.

Check them out...

JOSH

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
we only use psc ....pmd ya

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Performance Off-road systems is one of the most helpfull businesses I have ever had the pleasure to do business with. Sean is without a doubt one of the best hydro guys in the business. He LOVES to work with people on custom applications! He gets 100% of my hydro business because of this, and I like to support the little guys when I can.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I got a vote for PSC. Tom was VERY helpful in helping me apply my system through 2 different motor swaps. His 1400 series pump is the bomb, and his double ended ram is beefy (and blingy!) as hell.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
120 Posts
I use -6 jic fittings from the pump to the orbital and -6 from the orbital the ram,but from the pump to the reservoir needs to be at minimum -8 and from the reservoir back to the pump it needs to be minimum -10. another good guy to call is,i think it's john, at HOWEPERFORMANCE the dude knows his shit when it comes to hydro, this is all he does.just another idea, it's nice to have more than one opinion.

·
Registered
564 Posts
If we're going to vote - I have to vote Sean/Station. I doubt you could wrong either way, but I'll tell one my stories w/ Sean:

I have my front and rear steer running off the front TC (can you say low volume?) pump. Putting a P style pump isn't too straightforward, even PSC agrees with that, especially since my coilovers are somewhat close to the engine. back to the story - the TC pump isn't quite up to the task to run both, and I gave Sean feedback after a couple runs. He is in the process of developing a new flow divider which I expect will fully solve my issues, and from what he indicated, my lack of satisfaction was a major driver to him doing it. This over just the last couple months for someone who's EXTREMELY busy. If you call him, plan on having time to talk, because he is NOT the kind of guy who cuts a conversation short because he has things to do or other customers to talk to.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I'm going to be doing full hydro soon and spoke with Sean for about an hr! He will get my business no doubt. I learned a lot in that hr!

·
Registered
864 Posts
bought my stuff from sean. if i remember correctly, you would actually be support psc as well because i think he buys pumps and maybe some other things from them.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is there any pics out there with D60 high steer double ended ram. I've only seen a few toys. I know its going to be a tough install. Is there going to be any oil pan clearance issues. I might have to have a shop do the labor because it looks like a major PITA.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
PSC hands down. I run their stuff and have installed their stuff on other peoples rigs after they tried it out in mine. I even took off someone elses full hydro and replaced it with PSC stuff. The difference was night and day.

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
I would check out PSC, Station (POS), and Rockstomper.

I got most of my system from Station (except pump, as back in those days he wasn't supplying them) and the only thing I wasn;t happy with was the Appleton reservoir.

I used a KRC pump, and it wasn't very good at all until I modified it.

I have a PSC reservoir and awesome looking 1405 pump on the bench ready to be dropped in and tested/reviewed.

Before you call around, you may want to do some research and you could start here:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-Hydro_Steering/index2.html

And then, like I said, talk to Station, PSC, and Rockstomper. I;d avoid the KRC pump and the Appelton reservoir that Station supplies.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Awsome write up

Any idea's on high steer arms?

Which ones work best

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
BigDan said:
Is there any pics out there with D60 high steer double ended ram. I've only seen a few toys. I know its going to be a tough install. Is there going to be any oil pan clearance issues. I might have to have a shop do the labor because it looks like a major PITA.
Well, it's not a toy but it did have some clearance issures w/ the high steer and leaf springs. I had to do some fancy bends to get everything to clear the springs. The ram and valve is from station (performance offroad) and the pump is a KRC w/ 3.7gpm valve. I built my own reservoir with lots of baffles to keep the fluid from sloshing too much (and leaking out the cap). If I do it again, I'd use all the same stuff except the pump...it's noisy at higher RPMS (is this normal???) and I've heard they can fail without warning.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Another angle...At the top, you can see my cooler and filter (the blue thing). You can also see a hose coming from the ram...-6an for all pressure lines and -8an for tank to pump line (I'd like larger but thats all my shop had).

edit: forgot picture :rasta:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
I used parts from Rockstomper, VERY happy with them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts