Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive seen people run 37/13/15's on 15-7 and 15-8 and 15-10. And run 38/12.50's on the same setups. What is the best setup for wheelin? I was thinking about running 10" rims, but keep seeing guys with fat boggers squeezing them onto smaller rims. Just wondering. Dennis

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
depends on the wheeling you do and what you want from your tire rim combo

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most of the stuff around here is just mud, hills, creeks and some smaller rock climbing. But mostly it's just muddy rutted out terrain and hills.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would the smaller rim make the sidewall more suseptable(sp) to punctures? Seems that it would roll it out more. I also do alot of riding through hardwood forest. Kinda making my own trails. Which requires me to run over tons of branches and such. Dennis

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BTW, this is the setup I was thinking about running. 38/12.50/15 TSL's on 15-8 rims. Was told that is fine, it's the 14.50's on 8" rims that really change things. But want you guys opinions. Dennis

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
well ,i'm at the western end of the state so our terrrain may vary slightly but i run the 12.5 bogger on 8" rims. that way the rim is protected from sticks and rocks that might pinch in between the rim and tire on a wider wheel. i have had no sidewall probs either in 2 years wheeling them hard. i usually air down to 11 psi. hey i wheel alot at turkey bay ohv on ky. lake and looking for somewhere new to go, got any suggestions?:D

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Personally, I run a 12.50 wide tire on 10" rims. A lot of folks will
run a 12.50 on an 8" rim...they're thinkin' bein' that when
aired-down to lower pressures the 8" rim will hold the tire
bead better and keep stuff out of the rim's bead area. Of
course a good set of bead locks can eliminate that theory
altogether.

You really make yer own trails?:confused:

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All I know of is Lvingston, in eastern KY. About 45 min south of Lexington. We have a farm in Grayson Co. Cave Creek that flows into Rough River, backs up on our farm. Not alot of wheelin spots there though. Against the warnings of the Corp. , we sometimes ride the creek out to the river.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
I went with 10's to try and get the side wall out from under the truck some and see about keep the sheetmeal off the rocks. What a mistake. last trip out I rolled a bead and had 25psi in the tire. I'm going to a 8 inch rim and then a weld on bead lock. That should put me at about 9 inches.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
hey kyj10, i lived in e-town for 2 years,but i had a z28 and a ranger 2wd so no wheeling for me there. looked like there was some places to got that was actually on the ft.knox training base? .....but you had to sign in and not be in a place where the training was happening. we also hung out at otter creek tavern for a few 'ski's.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I've lived on the .66 rule for rims...

12.5 section x .66 = 8.25 rim (round to 8")

14.5 section x .66 = 9.57 rim (round to 10")

etc...

Going too narrow, ie: 8" rim with 14.5 tire creates more tire shift at lower pressures - very noticable on steep downhills where you try and turn and the bottom steering tire just keeps sliding.

Too wide a rim and you sacrafice bead retention, or you end up filling the bead area with rocks/sand/tree parts/etc....BTDT.

I run my 14.5 SX's on 10" steelies with no beadlocks - 2.5 psi winter, 4-5 psi summer...have yet to take one off the rim. Beadlocks are on my shopping list, I just can't justify them yet...

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I popped my 14.5 sx's off twice on the first trip out. 6psi 10" rims haven't had the cash to buy new rims or make my beadlocks yet.
Easy

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I'm running Swamper TSL's on 15 x 8 steels, run about 5 - 7 lbs. on the trail here in my area , no big problems as I'm always dent'n
my wheels to oblivion. Trash out a set and go scrounge in the local metal scrapyard or buddies shop and grab some new ones. I
take them w/ rust and crap as they don't last long . :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Grim Reaper said:
I went with 10's to try and get the side wall out from under the truck some and see about keep the sheetmeal off the rocks. What a mistake. last trip out I rolled a bead and had 25psi in the tire. I'm going to a 8 inch rim and then a weld on bead lock. That should put me at about 9 inches.
Grimmy, that's what I was going to say when I read the first posts on this, 15x8 + weldon bead lock = 9"s.:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts