Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thinkin about going to the NARRCA event in Phoenix, Aridzona (March 7-8). What route is best/easiest and how long of a drive is it?? :eek: Assuming I'm not breakin the speed limits. :rolleyes:

And don't say, 'By Bus'... :flipoff2: :D

·
Registered
7,719 Posts
from the bay area it took me 10 hrs (i drive kinda fast)
takes my firend 12 hours (also drives fast)

get on 5 down to the 210 to the 10 and you are there

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Dan-H said:
southwest air is the best way :p

its a L-O-N-G drive.

5 south to 210 to 10
thats what im sayn'

PS: HEY GLEN, I SAW YOU SITTING AT MADDISON / HAZLE NON SHALON IN YOUR LIL WHITE CAR :flipoff2:

dang ol Air Force, they all think theyr sneaky :rolleyes:

:flipoff2:

:D

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:flipoff2: Wuz that you in that jacked up Chikoree??? :eek: I saw that thing and tried like hell to keep as much distance from it as possible, in case something fell off. I saw a lot of stuff dangling and flappin... :laughing: I didn't recognize it without those blingy gold wheels...

Hey, you still got my 'folder'?? When you leavin for your 'real' job, Infantry Grunt??? :D Didja find someone to set up the 'station' at the Calrocs events, or do I have to learn how to do that too??? :rolleyes:

BTW, I hate flying... Makes me :barf:

SMART ASS said:

thats what im sayn'

PS: HEY GLEN, I SAW YOU SITTING AT MADDISON / HAZLE NON SHALON IN YOUR LIL WHITE CAR :flipoff2:

dang ol Air Force, they all think theyr sneaky :rolleyes:

·
Registered
182 Posts
My Scenic Route. Hell of a lot longer though.

Vegas, Party, Flaggstaff, Sedona, Lunch, Phoenix. That's my vote at least.

On the way back you should hit Telluride (stay there), Moab, and mach on the 50 at night right through Reno into Sacto (if you do this watch out for cops in Ely-Very Very Sketchy).

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GEARSINMYHEAD said:
My Scenic Route. Hell of a lot longer though.

Vegas, Party, Flaggstaff, Sedona, Lunch, Phoenix. That's my vote at least.

On the way back you should hit Telluride (stay there), Moab, and mach on the 50 at night right through Reno into Sacto (if you do this watch out for cops in Ely-Very Very Sketchy).

:laughing: I have been to Telluride and I saw that it was good. Spent some time in Grand Junction and Ouray and Cedaredge too but didn't you hear the song? There is no Sedona. :eek:

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
I HATE driving through LA!!!!

Usually down I-5
HWY 58 (Bakersfield - Barstow)
I40 to Needles
California 95 to Blythe
I10 to PHX.

With the kids I would give them Dramine before hitting the California 95 section. Lots of little rolling hills, just too easy to loose your lunch over that stretch of road.

I've done that route for over 25 years... amazing how much has changed over that time. Once in a great while I'll decide to do the LA route... and swear never again (not too bad at 3 am!).

Worst was a solo run towing though Needles in September. I would get on the road at 3 a.m. and drive until 3 p.m. No A/C, so can be pretty warm. Engine was running too hot, so only way to keep moving was turning on the heat (not fun). Made it past Needles with a bank sigh saying 121... kept thinking it was later than that, then the sign would change to 225, and back again. Took a while for my brain to realize it was 121 F! With the windows down, heat ON (!!!), I kept drinking gatoraid like crazy. Polished off six quarts that afternoon and never made a pit stop! :D

For a LONG drive... West Texas. :D

Tom :usa:

·
Ford Forum Moderator
1,999 Posts
my vote goes for 99 down to Bakersfield, 58 over to Barstow, 40 into Arizona, then after kingman, take 93 down to Wickenburg, then 60 down into Phoenix. I did this drive last July, & I liked it. I can't compare it to the I-5/I-10 route, but avoiding LA always seems like a good idea to me.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Glenn said:

:laughing: I have been to Telluride and I saw that it was good. Spent some time in Grand Junction and Ouray and Cedaredge too but didn't you hear the song? There is no Sedona. :eek:
Oh. I'm big on skiing. I love Telluride. Can't wait to take the Flattie there in June with the top off at the bluegrass festival. Gonna camp in the hills above town. Should be fun. Sedona just has some beautiful rock formations. Not to into the whole retirement deal. It's just beautiful. Never heard that song.

·
Registered
7,719 Posts
i left at 10 AM and hit very little traffic in LA.

I don't like the

HWY 58 (Bakersfield - Barstow)
I40 to Needles
California 95 to Blythe

drive, maybe because my annoying roomate was with me listening to annoying :rainbow: music

·
Registered
182 Posts
roundrocktom said:
I HATE driving through LA!!!!

Worst was a solo run towing though Needles in September. I would get on the road at 3 a.m. and drive until 3 p.m. No A/C, so can be pretty warm.
Tom :usa:

You ain't kidding. My buddy and I stopped there when I bought the Flattie and we were on our way to pick it up in AZ. It was 2AM in the mornin and we'd left the East Bay at 3pm. Temp was 104 as we slept in the back of my pickup at that KOA there. Ugh was that terrible. Sweating outside in pitch dark while wearing shorts trying to get just a little shut eye. The next day we mobbed. Like 97 through AZ and flat towed the willys back at like 85 straight to Vegas (It has Lockouts all the way around). Had to recover poolside w/cocktails for the rest of the day. We were so excited to hit vegas since Needles was so lame. The next day we were so relaxe we had to call our girlfriends and tell them we wouldn't be home for another day and cruised the strip in the Flattie with the top down then went to some club. So Fun

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I second roundrocktom's route, it may not be very scenic (okay, it's booooring!) but it's the quickest. I did that drive in one day once, had to deliver the Land Cruiser and get back in time for exams. Never again, I don't have the stamina anymore and I don't want to fall asleep and wipe out a family in a minivan.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
When I made the drive I was on l the clock so I did the speed limit the hole time. It took me about 12 and a half hours from stockton. I went 5 to 210 to 10. I went 99 the way back and it was alot faster and a easier drive IMHO.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts