Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a chevy 350 im going through and i was thinking about changing the cam bearing and the cam, among other things. the engine is in pretty good shape (around 40k miles on it)
but alot of people make a big deal about changing the cam bearings and saying the tool is $$$. ive found a chevy sb cam bearing tool for $60.00 and im pretty good at working on this sort of thing what do you all think?

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
putting cam bearings in a chevy is a peice of cake. and all those poeple telling you its big $$$ are the reasons machinists charge so much.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
if you got the tool it is cake for sure. Check eBay for a deal on one.

Then get a good quality set of bearings. They fit tighter for better oil pressure

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
yeah everyone also says "oh be careful to go real slow so you don't nic a cam bearing" blah blah blah......ask any competant machinist, you won't get a cam in without a little nic of a bearing, just don't be a jackass and hit it in with a hammer (I have actually seen this).

-Scott

·
Registered
13,348 Posts
Only 40k? Don't bother changing them. The ONLY time I ever heard of people actually changing cam bearings (worked in a Chevy dealership for 5 years, dad was a Chevrolet Master Technition for 48 years) is if the block had been hot tanked, the chemicals don't do the bearing material any good.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
is the tool for cam bearings generic or brand specific? i.e., could i use a chevy bearing installer on an AMC?

i got a quote for cam bearings for $120 from a local machinist. that's if i bring in the short block, already cleaned.

·
Registered
873 Posts
If you got a access to a lathe or anybody owes you favors I can give you a print and you can make your own bearing installer or if you wanna pay shipping I'll build that shit for ya.

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
Goat said:
If you got a access to a lathe I can give you a print and you can make your own bearing installer
I fall derictly under this

can ya send me a copy

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ForestCam said:
Only 40k? Don't bother changing them. The ONLY time I ever heard of people actually changing cam bearings (worked in a Chevy dealership for 5 years, dad was a Chevrolet Master Technition for 48 years) is if the block had been hot tanked, the chemicals don't do the bearing material any good.
I take it that means not even if your changing the cam? cuz i think i might get a new cam and i have some new clevite 77's on hand for it.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
I've never heard of anyone changing cam bearings just for a cam swap, if your motor is worn enough to need cam bearings your main/rod bearings would be long gone. There is little load and little wear on came bearings.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I wouldn't change them with 40,000 miles. They shouldn't need it. unless you have very good access to the front of the motor it could be a bitch.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cool works for me guys. thanks for the info

1 - 12 of 12 Posts