Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there have to be a few fishermen on here... Going to be heading up this weekend wondering what everyone is fishing for, and what they're using. Going to be in a float tube and bank fishing, morning, day, night...

If you're going to be up there let me know, come grab a beer, going to be walking in to gate keeper on Sunday.

·
Registered
9,691 Posts
Never fished there - Looks like a good lake - I'd just use worms, can't go wrong there...

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a beautiful lake, the only one I really haven't fished in that area... The fishing must be good because I can't find any info on it...:mad3:

·
Team 261 - VP
4,870 Posts
That's the 2nd dam. The first is Rocky Basin or something like that. That's where I've personally seen the most people fishing. I'm just guessing there's a reason.

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats my 2nd question I assume boating is allowed any 15mph hour restriction or 2 stroke restrictions?

·
Team 261 - VP
4,870 Posts
There are boats there...even seen jet skis...I have never seen anything specifically on 2 strokes there. Most putt putt motors still are 2 stroke.

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
honestly we fish there often.. this year not so good.. the warm water is keeping the trout deep... trolling is the most used method but the 1st dam is good for bank fishing.. I hear all kinds of things.. one week its castmasters, the next its chartruse powerbait and worms.. the fish arn't biting anywhere in the area really .. just before night fall seems better. I fly fish aswell and haven't gotten anything in the tube or from shore.. intermidiate or floating line.. If you want Swing into Robb's Resort on your way up the residents there always know the best spots.. and what to use.. they are Guru's when it comes to landing a trophy Brown... Or they can tell a good fish story anyway!! see you up at the lake!

dorobbs.com

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
didn't really plan on bringing a fly rod, but I normally bring powerbait/worms no matter where I end up. I'll probably throw some river weight on my gorilla line and float out awhile if the bites deep. Any catfish out there at all?

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
honestly we fish there often.. this year not so good.. the warm water is keeping the trout deep... trolling is the most used method but the 1st dam is good for bank fishing.. I hear all kinds of things.. one week its castmasters, the next its chartruse powerbait and worms.. the fish arn't biting anywhere in the area really .. just before night fall seems better. I fly fish aswell and haven't gotten anything in the tube or from shore.. intermidiate or floating line.. If you want Swing into Robb's Resort on your way up the residents there always know the best spots.. and what to use.. they are Guru's when it comes to landing a trophy Brown... Or they can tell a good fish story anyway!! see you up at the lake!

dorobbs.com
Awesome I forgot about the resort, thanks for the pointers, much appreciated.

·
4x4 Consultant
7,424 Posts
Went up last weekend and got some nice bites but just could'nt Hook-em! Fished at the 1st Dam from the bank with Green PowerBait.

I would try PB or floating a crawler with a 18" to 24" Leader......

I have caught a few 3-4 pounders from the same area over the years but nothing this year.

Good Luck!

KC

·
Registered
302 Posts
Caught a 12" rainbow near the spillway as I was waiting for the rest of our group to load up last weekend at Loon...on a Thomas Boyant spoon (red/gold). Also got a few other strikes, but didn't result in hook set. Yeah, at dusk, fish taking flies all over...looked like big mayflies and spinner hatch (my brother is better at identifying and tying them, he wasn't there).

Fishing was REAL slow at Buck, we kayaked the whole lake and not one bite...used kastmasters, spoons and super dupers, nothing...my buddy also used meal worms and nothing. I saw about 7 carp swimming around near the dam, couldn't believe it.

Sheriff Scott told us green powerbait was working at Buck, but we didn't fish anymore after Jason Payne's death... :(

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well thanks for the great advice, caught a 15" Rainbow right there at the loon lake campground, Biggest trout I have ever landed. It was quite rocky so I set up my 50lb gorilla line, with a 4 ft 12lb leader used a 2oz weight on a slider before the leader, they were hitting on threaded worms as soon as the wind picked up in the morning for about an hour then the bite got slow in the afternoon. Ill post a pic once I get them off the camera, great weekend.

·
Registered
302 Posts
50lb?? With a 12lb leader? Damn, you could use that for winch line! ha,ha Most trout would see that a mile away...but congrats on the fish! Such a beautiful lake, doesn't really matter much what you catch... :)

·
Premium Member
7,489 Posts
A friend and I fished the creek coming from the dam to about a mile down stream Friday evening, and saturday evening (after the event was done), I think we landed better than 70 trout throwing little panther martins in the chutes, and pools....it was a blast....granted you are not going to catch any "big" trout down there, but I think total we landed three or 4 that were about 12".....not bad for native brook trout IMO...

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was getting hung up on that rocky bottom so I used the 50 lb so I would stop losing my weight and sliders, lost quite a few of the leaders though...

I agree if we caught nothing it would still have been worth every minute there.

Is it normally that windy on the water?

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Anyone ever fished sugarpine res. by any chance, had some decent luck night fishing up there, but couldn't hook anything up during the day... any advice?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts