Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/tls/2781552218.html

The amp rating seems really low. From the 2 knobs on the side Im guessing that it has 2 speed ranges and then variable speed in each. For the price I think it would be worth it if the motor is single phase or easily replaced. It shouldn't be a big deal to make a useable table.

Has anyone seen a press like it?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Then again it would be nice to know just what they cobbled together to make a AC motor control.

Does it say it works

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
it's missing the table. that makes it kind of hard to use.

the motor is a two-speed, single phase. without doing the math, i'd guess the motor amperage is around .75 to 1 hp.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
3 phase as I suspected:( thanks for the link. If it was single phase Id be driving up that way right now
it may not be unless he is leaving out information from the motor plate. i'd call him and get the exact information off the motor plate.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
3 phase as I suspected:( thanks for the link. If it was single phase Id be driving up that way right now

Whole bunch of us on PBB have three phase machines running in out shops. :flipoff2:

Phase-a-matic + old 3hp 3 phase motor = 3 phase power in the home shop.

Tom

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
Whole bunch of us on PBB have three phase machines running in out shops. :flipoff2:

Phase-a-matic + old 3hp 3 phase motor = 3 phase power in the home shop.

Tom
Phase converters scare me, I knew of an older gentleman who cooked over a long weekend in his shop because of one :(

For that price I would call and see if it's single or 3 phase.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I matched the press to the pictures in the PDF file posted I didn't see an option of a single phase motor. The amp draw looks way too low to be a single phase. If someone sees it another way please point it out and I will pursue it.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
When I matched the press to the pictures in the PDF file posted I didn't see an option of a single phase motor. The amp draw looks way too low to be a single phase. If someone sees it another way please point it out and I will pursue it.
it's about right for a 3/4 hp motor at 230 volts. i'm pretty sure phase doesn't factor into the hp/voltage/amperage conversion. motors get changed. the craigslist ad listed it as 230 volts, not the 220 volt 3 phase like the pdf.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
I think your gonna want to crack open the motor cover and check it to make sure. Or take someone with you thats knowledgeable enough to verify or test. Not sure if thats possible but just a suggestion.

I have an electrician that I call everytime I come across something I am unsure of. He can keep me out of trouble with a 5 second phone call and I never hesitate to call him:smokin:

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
I have an electrician that I call everytime I come across something I am unsure of. He can keep me out of trouble with a 5 second phone call and I never hesitate to call him:smokin:
I hope you keep him supplied with good beer!

My brother is a commercial electrician. I was looking up the number of wires, and realized I'd be at 50% fill with 1" EMT. Good to go by NEC So got it almost all done, and couldn't pull the rest of the wires. #$%^!

I called my brother, and he gave me the "yep, but without a cable puller it will be a bitch!". :laughing:

Tore out all the 1" EMT, installed 1.5" EMT... piece of cake!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts