Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine is picking up a truck to part out, it's supposedly a....get this....'79 Ford F-250 Snow Fighter chassis, with an HP Dana 60 front (I don't know how many I've gone to look at that turned out to be HP Dana 44's, but this guy swears he knows waht he's talking about...so did the last three) Dana 60 rear, typical NP205/C6....then it gets really interesting, it sits on 40" Gumbos and is motivated by a 429 Police Interceptor.....and all this is wrapped up with a......

......are you ready.....

.......a '73 Ford Ranchero body! Yup, Hillbilly engineering at it's finest. Anyway, if it is indeed a Dana 60 front my buddy is going ot pick it up tonight and hopefully I'll get some pics of the automotive abortion, but my real question is, what kind of fair pricing can he put on the components and still make some cash to fund his projects?

Tell me if I'm way off either way, this stuff is in Michigan, so most of you guys won't be interested, so be honest.

HP Dana 60 front, complete, cleaned up & painted, but not re-built - $1000

Dana 60 rear, cleaned up - $200

NP205, cleaned up and checked out - $200

Big-block C6, cleaned up (supposedly rebuilt recently, will tear down to confirm) - $200

429 Interceptor, complete, runs strong - $500????

Not looking to make a mint, just cover costs with a little extra, and some of the proceeds will be donated to our state Four Wheel Drive Association.

·
Ford Forum Moderator
1,999 Posts
4Bangler said:
HP Dana 60 front, complete, cleaned up & painted, but not re-built - $1000 Down here $1500ish is about normal for a HP60 in good shape

Dana 60 rear, cleaned up - $200 Sounds fair enuff

NP205, cleaned up and checked out - $200 Maybe, Ford 205s are exactly rare, so dime a dozen is the term that comes to mind. I'd call a local wrecking yard & ask how much from them just to get the going rate in your area.

Big-block C6, cleaned up (supposedly rebuilt recently, will tear down to confirm) - $200 In good shape, probably, maybe even a little more if you can prove a recent rebuild

429 Interceptor, complete, runs strong - $500???? Yes/No/Maybe, kinda depends on you finding someone that is set on having a 429. Back up there in mud country, the demand from 'wheelers should be a bit higher
Just my opinions based on what I know of prices in AZ, I could be wrong. Also the axles may be worth a little more to the right person if they're already geared lower.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Being a car-bodied Michigan Hillbilly mud machine I'd bet that the entire drivetrain is stock (probably 3.55 gears, what was Ford thinking?), with all funds if any spent on making the exhaust as loud as possible, from what I understand the "truck" was "built" several years ago, so I'm expecting 24 shocks with neon boots and 6" Kenworth exhaust with glass packs.

A lot of the mud guys dump some serious coin into motors, so maybe the 429 will be something desireable.

Local wrecking yards wouldn't know an NP205 from a 240Z, and if they have one it's not for sale for one reason or another, but I see what you're saying, so if it's in really good shape perhaps it will fetch $100

$1200 was my original thought on the front 60, but figuring that it hasn't been touched mechanically since '79 it will probably need a complete rebuild, and as we all know, 60 part ain't cheap, we'll see tonight, maybe $1200-$1500

Thanks, and keep 'em coming, I'd like to be able to give my buddy some decent pricing guidelines so he can make someone the proud new owner of some HD stuff.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
If it is a 429 PI engine, and it is good shape, I would think that $750 or more is not out of the question.

The rest of your prices seam to be fair and what I seen the stuff go for.

·
Registered
585 Posts
The axles could have 4.10's instead of 3.54's. Front kingpin 60's are going for about 1500 around here. I hate it. Get some pics of this thing it sounds intresting.

wes

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doh! He already cut a deal with another friend for the HP 60 front.....you guys are going to hate it.....$900, but he only paid $800 for the whole thing and has the rest to sell so...

And here it is in all it's glory...

HP60 front...

FF 60 rear with the requisite chrome cover...

and the proud new owner giving the Pirate Salute...

"It" runs and drives, but has little to no brakes, tires are 40" Regals (Hawg look a like) with decent tread, and the wheels, ooooh the wheels, 16.5 x something more than 9.75 ALUMINUM WAGON WHEELS

The 429 is a dirty mess but runs well, the chassis is all Ranchero, with custom spring hangers and some sweet custom steering...

Attachments

·
5,599 Posts
THATS SO COOL!

What a find!!

I bet you could get more then $700 for the 429 and C6.

I sold my 429 and C6 out of my parts truck, not running, carberator laying on the side.... and got $500 for it in one week. so Id start at a higher price.

the rest looks like reasonable prices...

anyone want a free 76 F350 body frame? Blue with metalic flake.:flipoff2:

The buyer of the 429 C6 took it home in an Elcamino riding on bumpstops!
:eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since you guys like it so much....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
...the 429 Police Interceptor (should get some numbers to verify that)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
....C6-NP205....and some of Michigan's finest auto cancer...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
Ya know for all the Car bodied rigs i have seen, for some reason, that one does not look that fugly, might be the 60 front though

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
I would roll it in the city with a John Deere hat on:D

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Shiat! Don't get rid of that thing! Put the d60 in w/e you are putting it in, and then put a d44 on the Ranchero! Make the Ranchero into a cruiser/mudder! It could be sooooo awesome! :D :D :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Man, that thing is SCHAWEEETTTTTA!

I'd :grinpimp: it!! :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I hate to say it, but it's one of the nicest car-bodied 4x4's I've ever seen, with the exception of the hack job drag-link and the questionable front spring hangers, this thing is tight!

Alas, it's destiny lies in the scrap-heep, giving up it's vital organs to other projects in a last ditch effort to better the 4x4 gene pool by removing itself from it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
As for the "Hack job" weld on the tie rod?
It was neater than butt welding the two pieces together
and probably wouldn't break, though I can forsee problems adjusting it:)

As for 3.50 gears and your comment "What was Ford thinking?"
Quit whining: I have a Stock F250 that I'm sad to say has 3.00's
in it.

But I have a full floater D70 from a 2wd F350 (with 3.73's and a locker) and I've already got an NP205 for it.
I'm still looking for a later D60 front for a 350 and a 4x4 T-18.

Yeah, I know I'll have to buy 3.73's for the Front D60, but I don't need bigger gears with the 460 engine('74 Lincoln)

I'm in no rush to aquire parts, because I prefer to scavenge them from the junkyards

AllanD

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well it turns out that the dill-hole that was supposed to buy the HP60 front backed out of the deal when it came cash time (damn kids) so the whole thing is for sale, complete or in parts.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts