Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started tearing apart my chevy d60 front, found something odd inside the king pin that's not on any diagrams I searched through. Also, it's stuck in there pretty good. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Is it what's left of the bearing? Just a guess.:D

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
holy rusty axle batman!

mine didnt look like that, i dont know what that is...

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Never saw that on a 60 before.....My only guess is instead of it being the "normal" allen head in the center they got a X style socket to help remove the upper king pin.....Never saw that before....what year BOM does that axle have? I'd like to know.....Tim

·
Registered
340 Posts
special socket????

Looks like it will need a special socket. If you can pop it out it might have the 7/8" allen hole. If it does, I'll send you a 7/8" allen wrench to get it out. I have a couple of them I picked up at a military surplus auction. Let us know how it comes along.

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
Re: special socket????

dotrappe said:
Looks like it will need a special socket. If you can pop it out it might have the 7/8" allen hole. If it does, I'll send you a 7/8" allen wrench to get it out. I have a couple of them I picked up at a military surplus auction. Let us know how it comes along.
Where do you get a 7/8 allen wrench? I cant get the bottom cap off one of my Ford knuckles and may have to take the kingpin out to pull the knuckle off.

I've tried everything but heat so far and it wont budge.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shaker said:
Never saw that on a 60 before.....My only guess is instead of it being the "normal" allen head in the center they got a X style socket to help remove the upper king pin.....Never saw that before....what year BOM does that axle have? I'd like to know.....Tim
What's even weirder is that the driver's side has the regular 7/8" allen like normal. I'll get the BOM tonight, I knew there was something I was forgetting to take down.

Any idea if I can get the bottom bearing out and slide the knuckle off without taking the kingpin off first?

I have access to a 7/8" allen already, thanks though dotrappe

Bushwacker, try a long 7/8" acron lug nut. They fit inside perfectly and then you can use a socket and an impact;)

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
Once you take a kingpin out, whats it take to get it back in to the right torque specs? Can you get them in tight enough with a 4ft cheater bar?

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
TxScout said:

Any idea if I can get the bottom bearing out and slide the knuckle off without taking the kingpin off first?
Yes you can. remove the lower bearing & the knuckle will come off.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Bushwhacker said:
Once you take a kingpin out, whats it take to get it back in to the right torque specs? Can you get them in tight enough with a 4ft cheater bar?
requires around 500-600 ft lbs. or torque......pull on cheater bar until your nuts are about to shoot out your pants legs.....or you can do the above lug nut-impact trick.....

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
Is it off-center or is that just the pic?

It looks like the cone is cam shaped, like an adjustment for "wheel lean" (castor/camber I never can remember).

I have never seen one like that.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hit that cross lookin thing with a chisel and try to knock it out. I bet there's a allen head socket hole under it.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Looks like a failed attept at removing it with a makeshift tool for the kingpin. Torch off the top, then weld a bar on it with a hole cut in it, so it gets the kingpin really hot, then turn it out.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Use a big screwdriver to turn that kingpin out. :flipoff2:
Never saw that before.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts