Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two weeks ago I bought a Rough Country 9500S from a vendor on here. No issues with the vendor. Great guy. Would buy from him again.

Anywho, I unspooled the winch, hooked to a tree in my yard, and respooled it with the transmission in neutral. Wasn't working the thing at all. Just wanted to get it to spool a little tighter.

Following week, went on a light wheeling trip. Class VI roads. Didn't need to use it.

Last Thursday night, I wanted to grind off two nubs off my front bumper gussets. But the synthetic line was close to where I had to grind. Connected the wired remote, nothing. Dead. Wireless remote works. Spoke to the vendor and I think he is going to send me a new one. Neat.

Today. Four of us got together to do one of the tougher trails in the area. Lockers, winches, and no fear of body damage is a must. One guy snapped his lower control arm. Another blew the transmission. I was asked to winch one of them out of a tight spot to get him off the trail. Hook the winch up. Annnnnd nothing. Doesn't click in.

Got the two broken rigs off the trail and loaded the Tin Can on the trailer. The past 2h or so I've been messing with this thing and I'm out of ideas. I first connected two batteries then just a big ass battery my Dad uses for his boat.

This is the result:

Why isn't my winch working? Part 1 - YouTube

Why won't my winch work? Part 2 - YouTube

We put the battery on a trickle charge tonight to see what the outcome of that is. But there you have it. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Not much to add, but I did not expect you to sound like that. You should talk like Hank Hill from now on......:flipoff2:

So it spools fast as shit when the winch is disengaged? Any chance you dod some welding since you mounted the winch? If so, where was the welder ground and where did you weld?

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't think I've done any welding since its been installed. But yea, it spools fast as hell when disengaged. My Superwinch I had on my YJ could be used in the disengaged setting. It'd just free spin.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Part two won't play for me.
Based on part one, the clutch and/or planetary assembly are hosed up. In disengage it's engaged at 1:1 to the motor instead of through the planetary reduction, in engage, it's stalling, probably because it's engaged to everything (reduction and 1:1 at the same time). Can probably rebuild it to work properly, but I'd guess it needs some thrust washers and/or shift fork pads replaced. Most winches don't have access to 1:1 at all, just reduction and neutral. Winding in when disengaged is normal, with limited speed (normal unloaded speed, not what you have) due to gear drag, but you can typically stop a winch that's doing that just by standing on the line.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So it does sound mechanical then huh? Dad and I noticed that one of the screws on the side of the can was not tightened all the way. We didn't touch it since we don't want to tinker with it too much which may void the warranty or something.

Got a response from the vendor so we should be able to take care of this. Just sucks that I won't have a winch for Vermonster.

·
Registered
295 Posts
When the brake on my T-maxx came apart it acted like that. The springs from the brake wrapped around the drive shaft and locked it up tight when it was engaged. Disengaged it would drive through the brake one direction and not at all or 1:1 in the other, depending on how the springs caught. It also was drawing at lot of power trying to drive through the brake.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
awesome, new winch is broken.

should have bought a used Warn off NEOW for $300

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been scouring CL and forums for used winches for about two months. NEOW never crossed my mind. I'm looking now and I don't see the listing.

·
Registered
58 Posts
winch problem

You have it spooled back wards. You wound it up the wrong. way when you tried to use it you where fighting the brake , That's where the problem is. I got a deal when I bought mine because it only worked one time, That was the problem. the rope or cable need s to wind in over the top

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
You have it spooled back wards. You wound it up the wrong. way when you tried to use it you where fighting the brake , That's where the problem is. I got a deal when I bought mine because it only worked one time, That was the problem. the rope or cable need s to wind in over the top
I have never seen an electric automotive winch designed that way

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I never unspooled it the entire way out. I left the first layer as it was. I'm not going to touch it. From the sounds of it, RC is just going to send me a new winch and I'll send this one back.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I never unspooled it the entire way out. I left the first layer as it was. I'm not going to touch it. From the sounds of it, RC is just going to send me a new winch and I'll send this one back.
When the new one arrives, leave it in the box. Then post it on Craigslist, to recoup your $$. Then use that $$ to buy a used Warn winch.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When the new one arrives, leave it in the box. Then post it on Craigslist, to recoup your $$. Then use that $$ to buy a used Warn winch.
I looked for WARN winches for two months now. I have an RSS feed on my desktop that links to CL ads within 100 miles of me. I just forgot about a local forum. I'll just suck it up and go with another RC winch. I really don't want to wait around for a WARN. I certainly cannot afford a new one.

I mean, look at this: Warn 8274 winch

$800 for that? I'll take this winch I got now as a fluke and go from there.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
offer $500 for the 8274, might get home with a winch almost as big as your motor and will be the last one you'll probably ever buy

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't want cable either. Much happier with synthetic. That and the 8274 looks beat to hell. So no doubt I'll have to rebuild it.

New winch is shipped. According to UPS, should be here Friday. Get it all wired in and I should be ready for Vermonster on Saturday.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
I'd put money on that 8274 working just the way it is. That's a whole different breed of winch

1 - 20 of 22 Posts