• 82-85"

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • 86+"

Votes: 14 19.4%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Well, I'd be pretty excited if I could fit into the pile of 34" jeans in my closet. :flipoff2:

Personally, I just wish my rig was skinnier, I'm at around 88" sidewall-sidewall now and it works good for me.

Pete

·
Registered
414 Posts
I'ld say it depends on your ride, and your wheeling.
I'm currently @77.5", but since I'm changin axles I'm steppin up to 80.5".
The way my truck sits (BII) I would like a lil more 'stick-out' & stability.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
i like 88 or better, i have to back up some but it feels so much better on the side hills, i love it. but my rig is tall and long. a comp rig has to fit, so it would be much narrower than i am. but for a trail rig, wider is better for my area. mike

·
Registered
341 Posts
Wider= more stable. So in I think it is clear that wider is better. My rig was at 92 before!! I Loved it and of course I was wide as hell but around here it worked sooooo well. I could side hill most places where some guys where having trouble going straight up.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Personally, 74" - 76" is just about right for my XJ. I'll be dropping in a Ford F-150 HP44/ 9" with 37s on 15x8s with about 4.5" of backspacing. Stock XJ/ TJ/ ZJ wms width is 60.5, so once you grow out of 33s, the axles are simply too weak and too narrow. My desired width should keep the 37s snug, yet have an aggressive stable stance; should work out nicely.:D

Anyways, thats my $.02 worth.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
thejeepjeepkid said:
Wider= more stable. So in I think it is clear that wider is better. My rig was at 92 before!! I Loved it and of course I was wide as hell but around here it worked sooooo well. I could side hill most places where some guys where having trouble going straight up.
In a freindly way, I call BULLSHIT! Up here, ideal width would be 60-70 inches! I was at 88" as well, and it cost me a few nights on the trail several times over! The reason I say Bullshit, is that I think it is a common misconception that wider means you won't flip. In my areas, it just means the wide trucks have to go that much higher up the side of cliff walls, because the walls are 14' tall, and 80" apart at the widest part of the trail! Ever seen a 7 foot tall truck on its door in an 8 foot wide hallway? We just had to drag it on its side for 40 yards and keep swapping batteries. Looooong day.

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
i loved 84" on my old jeep, but i cant go that skinny on the dodge. i'm shooting for under 90" with the 18" wide boggers.;)

wide = stuck on tight trails. there are some trees only 90 or so inches apart and theres no way around. hopefully the body will get shrunk down a little as i go also. :D

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FULLSIZE said:
i loved 84" on my old jeep, but i cant go that skinny on the dodge. i'm shooting for under 90" with the 18" wide boggers.;)

wide = stuck on tight trails. there are some trees only 90 or so inches apart and theres no way around. hopefully the body will get shrunk down a little as i go also. :D

Just as an FYI for ya, my power wagon is at 79".. and i have a feeling i am going to get my 4 runner around the same width.

Garrett

·
Premium Member
23,686 Posts
Right now my width is 72" which I find a little too narrow and unstable in my top heavy Explorer. It can be very un-nerving especially since I went to 36's a year ago. I am going to full width axles and with my current tires I should end up around 80" or so. I don't want to be freaky wide but I would like a little more stability. Also plan on dropping a few hundred pounds off my truck as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts