Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I currently have a small but off-road capable setup. It's an 03 tacoma locked front and rear with a short trailer for my buggy. I sleep in my tent.

Sometimes I dream of a Red Bull-like toterhome. It would tow anywhere in the country without complaint. Rain would never be an issue because it's practically indoors. Also, getting ready for a trip would be as simple as packing clothes and food (in the fridge). Which is easy compared to packing going over all your camping gear, coolers, etc. On the downside it must be more of a pain to drive. It's not off road capable at all and far too long to drive on trail 1 at tellico or any of the other similar trails that lead to wheeling spots. Also, it must be extra effort to drive around town. I'm not sure I could even turn it around in my cul-de-sak.

Another option is the bed mounted camper. It keeps you agile enough for dirt access roads, allows for a short trailer, but has the upsides of easy foul weather camping. I'd guess you don't have to pack the same way you do for tent camping either, just clothes and food. On the downside I'd guess that mounting the camper into the bed is a pita and storing it wouldn't make me popular with my HOA.

The "camper on the trailer" option looks neat. Xtreme 4x4 did it in grand style and that's pretty close to a dream setup, especially with the welder on it. It has the benefits mentioned above of easy packing and being weatherproof but that long trailer must make pulling and access roads more of a pita and sometimes impossible.

A motorhome with a trailer seems interesting too. Easy packing, bad off road, great for sleeping.

Finally, a tent, 4x4 CTD, and a 16' trailer will go anywhere but it's not foul weather friendly and packing is the full deal complete with checking your little propane bottles, lanterns, stove, sleeping pads, water supply, etc. Also, while my tent doesn't leak it is a pita to setup and sometimes high winds break a pole.

So if money wasn't your primary concern (but still a consideration, do go crazy) what would you want?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I think a 30ish foot, enclosed goose, with basic living quarters up front and buggy in the back is my dream.

For the following reasons:
Still able to use the truck as a truck by simply dropping the trailer.
Packing is easy (food and clothes as mentioned).
Not an "eyesore" to neighbors or hoa's
Relatively affordable
Be able to build it to suit my needs, buying a standard trailer and upgrading the living space as needed and can afford.

Sure the RV/Toterhome/Semi setup would be awesome, but don't think i'll ever have the coin to do it. I do however dream of it... The "If I won the lottery" kinda dreams.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
This to me is perfect and all I want. I'm doing what I can to get another one, but with a diesel this time.

Can't see any camping spots harder to reach than Lion's Back!

A Sportsmobile conversion with a pop-top would be perfect, but those are damn expensive.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My dream setup:
vehicles:
99-f-350 Crew
06 Jeep Unlimited
late 80's Coleman tent-trailer

FYI: I have 2 kids and a wife to consider in my dream set-up

28' low-boy goose: Put jeep and 8' pop-up trailer on gooseneck trailer

I typically camp where there's no way you could get a gooseneck down the trail. This provides me with the utmost flexibility. I can drive the truck (f-350) and trailer to the staging area. Unload the jeep and pop-up. Then wheel the jeep and pop-up to the camping destination. Away from the generator/RV/motorcycle/quads crowd..... My pop-up is lifted, so going down the trail isn't too bad. If I really need to, I can drive the tow rig to the campsite too.

If I'm so inclined, and want to go to Moab with a friend, I can tow 2 rigs on the trailer and either tent it or rent a motel room.

The pop-up allows me to have room for 2 kids and 2 adults in comfort. Not luxury mind you, but comfort. I camped for years with no tent , just a tarp and a good sleeping bag for shelter....so a pop-up with a stove, sink and 4 comfortable beds is fine with me.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
I am planning for towing 2 jeeps and sleeping 5. I like the box truck conversion on here with a trailer behind it. Don't have everything solidified as to what I want.

·
Premium Member
5,013 Posts
Diesel, Crew-cab with 12-14' roll/dump/flat bed. Maybe a wheel lift as well but that's optional.

26-30' tag.

Ability to haul up to 3-rigs, or 2 rigs and a good sized camper on the flatbed, or one rig on the flat bed and tow a nice camp trailer/RV.

The wheel lift would be an option for taking 2 rigs and not dealing with a trailer at all, or picking up 'treasures' that we all know we find. The bed would both be a roll-deck and a strait dump to be multi-purpose for work, play, yard work etc.

In a perfect world, if all I wanted to do was run around the county wheeling/competing or whatever. A really nice toter-home (to make the Ms. happy and me comfortable) towing an enclosed (i.e. rolling tool box) containing a wheeler and a DD-type rig for general exploring, city driving etc (small SUV/4x4 type rig).

But that's a pipe-dream....

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Not really a dream rig, but it would keep the HOA at bay. Get a full size truck (CTD if you like:smokin:) and put a high top camper shell with rear doors on it. You could sleep in back on an air mattress, it'd be easy to get in/out of and it would look like everyone elses truck, so no beef. You could still tow your buggy/trailer and be able to sleep under a roof. You'd still have to deal with everything else like with a tent, but the sleeping would be better.
Travis..

·
Registered
2019 Ram 1500
6,261 Posts
hmm....My dream setup was found when Soni Honegger's setup was featured in Four wheeler...After that, I knew what I would buy if I won the lotto...

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
1968-72 Dodge power wagon crew cab 4x4 with a twin-turbo 6v71 detroit.

This would be towing a huge airstream with the rear hacked up so i could park whatever pos rig i have on it.

Main goal would be to pound every modern truck into the ground with old skool 2 stroke diesel power.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I got it right here...

Why??

Jeep sold... Durango sold.... So I'm not dealing with "vehicular" toys anymore.

With this I can take the quads (inside garage), the skis.... And go camping... Tows 65-70-75 mph comfortably. Camper is comfy....

Don't like truck or it's performance? - modify /sell / trade.
Don't like living quarters? - modify / sell / trade.
Wanna change toys? - by all means do so!

The nice thing about doing it this way is component based. Each can be changed out without affecting the other.

If I want to get another Jeep/Buggy type thing... Then buy it... It'll fit right in the garage of the toyhauler as long as it's not longer than 17'. :D

Now the REAL dream would be for me to wake up tomorrow and for it to somehow magically all be paid for!

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
I was thinking something like this

http://www.fleetwoodcampingtrailers.com/series.aspx?id=3&sn=Evolution

So I could tow it to more remote camp sites with the Dodge or load it on the big trailer and tow the whole setup like this: Obviously it wouldn't be on hardcore outings, but more of just when you do want to camp where you have to park the entire unit.

However with the loaded setup I currently gross close to 19k, so add in 3k lb of pop up plus added, I may want to step up to a bigger tow rig....

If I did, it would be dually, preferably shortbed crew cab, but would take an ext cab long bed. 6 spd, diesel, exhaust brake. '04.5-'5 Dodge, or '00-'02 PSD or way cool '98-'00 Chevy with an engine swap.

·
Non-Lemming
78,528 Posts

Attachments

1 - 20 of 98 Posts