Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's almost time for the first new set of shoes on the 07 Dodge. I like the ride of the stock Michelins, but like the look of a little bigger A/T tire. I'll probably be adding the 2" leveling spacer to the front. I do tow quite often. Maybe a compromise with a size or two bigger highway/tow tire? Tell me what you like. Pics would be cool too!

·
Registered
17,628 Posts
I am happy with my Pro comp extreme AT's. I have about 10k miles on them and they still look new. Here are some pics. They are 35x12.5x17

Scott

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Looks real good! Do you notice much difference with the 35s when towing? My buddy had the 35" Toyo Open Country M/Ts on his and said he thought the trans wanted to slip when he pulled a heavy load. Mine's an auto with 3.73s in the rear (wish I'd gotten the 4.11 option). Keep 'em coming!

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'm currently running the metric equivilent to a 35" in a BFG A/T. Bought them because I got them really cheap used from a friend. Won't be buying them again, they have good tread wear but as far as I'm concerned they suck as a A/T, but most A/T's suck period.

I've had good luck in the past with Toyo Open Country M/T's and know many other people who run them on thier tow rigs. I'll probably be going back to those.

·
Registered
17,628 Posts
Thanks! Looks real good! Do you notice much difference with the 35s when towing? My buddy had the 35" Toyo Open Country M/Ts on his and said he thought the trans wanted to slip when he pulled a heavy load. Mine's an auto with 3.73s in the rear (wish I'd gotten the 4.11 option). Keep 'em coming!

A small loss in power, but thats it. Of course, I do have the 6 spd manual, so I wouldn't notice trans slipping, because it doesn't slip.
Scott

·
Premium Member
6,712 Posts
im liking my kumho road venture a/t's. been cross county multiple times with a fully loaded trailer. very little tread wear.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
I had some BFG long trails that came stock on my f-250. Not sure of exact mileage, but i'd say I got over 65k on them

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had some BFG long trails that came stock on my f-250. Not sure of exact mileage, but i'd say I got over 65k on them
MAN! That's way more miles than I'm at! I only got almost 30K! They do have around 5-10K left though. I guess I need less skinny peddle!

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
Dealer take offs......... AKA Cheap.
I run 315's on my 05 with 1.5" level kit up front.

·
Registered
10,442 Posts
Nitto Dura-Grapplers. 8k miles, no treadwear yet (measuring with a gauge), great wet/icy traction, load range E.

·
Registered
10,442 Posts
I've looked at these. They look like a good road tire. Were they a good price? Do you tow much?
Depends on your definition of a "good" price. I think it was $940 out the door for 265/70/17 Load Range E's with the dura-belt technology or whatever it is. I do some towing, usually not over 8,000 pounds, but they work great. I went from highway sway to perfectly straight with these tires. My old tires didn't have a lick of traction on wet or icy surfaces either. These do as well as you could expect with a 300hp 2wd. They aren't as bad in mud as I thought they would be, either.

If they keep going like it looks like they will, I will gladly pay $940 for another set, I'll tell you that. It's going to be a while the way these things are wearing, though.

·
Registered
11,871 Posts
I like my 35" Toyo MTs a lot so far, I think I have around 5k on them with very little wear.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Got 60k out of my first set of BFG AT's, and expect to get the same from the second set. They meet all of my needs for my GMC 2500 Dmax. Truck is used as a daily driver, tow rig, and desert racing remote pit/chase truck, mostly in SoCal.

They are hard as rocks towards the end of their tread. Forgot how nice my truck really rides after getting the new ones on it.

If Interco's new truck tire was available in my size I'd have given them a try.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I went with a set of Hankook MT's this time. They are a little soft, but they were $200/set cheaper from ebay than anybody else, plus the size and load range were right for me. 295/75/16's work out to 33.6" tall and rated for 3400 lbs/tire maybe a little more, can't remember right now.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
another vote for the procomp extreme at's, I've got about 3k on a set of
315's on my superduty and they're excellent so far compared to the nitto terra grapplers I had before.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
another vote for the procomp extreme at's, I've got about 3k on a set of
315's on my superduty and they're excellent so far compared to the nitto terra grapplers I had before.
Yeah I'm definitely out on the Terra Grapplers. My brother-in-law's got 'em on his '06 Dodge same as mine and he hates them. He farms out of that pick-up so he puts on lots of hard miles.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Toyo M55's. By far the best towing tire avaliable. They are E rated and wear like iron. Grip amazingly in the snow/ice and great offroad tire too. We use them here at the USGS and the US forest service uses them as well.

I'm running the 255 85 r16's on my truck and wouldn't run anything else.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I always pimp the Cooper ATR. They are silent going down the road, track straight as an arrow, have more light snow/rain traction than any other tire I've ever run (besides dedicated winter tires), do great in somwhat grippy mud, decent in soft mud, and about as good as you can expect from an AT in slick mud (as in be ready to have someone pull you out).

They self clean starting about 3mph.

I have them as the rear tires on my truck, they replaced a set of Uniroyal Laredo AWT's and are twice the tire in every respect. Places I used to have to use 4wd, it just keeps going and where I used to get stuck I just need 4wd.

Justin

1 - 19 of 19 Posts