Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 263 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 30ft class A motorhome...but am wanting to down grade to a truck camper so i can easily pull my jeep and dirtbikes and have a super simple setup.

Show me your set up with a truck camper for some advice:D

·
Premium Member
23,695 Posts
2010 F350 with 2010 Lance 825 and PJ 10,000 lb trailer. GCW in this picture is 19,200 lb. With the Explorer pulled on forward the tongue weight is a little on the heavy side. Backed on it is perfect and tows like a dream.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I've got one of these:
http://www.fourwh.com/grandby.htm

I didn't buy it new as I am poor, but even a used one pretty much rocks. A bed, stove, fridge, heater - what more do you need if you are going for simple truck camping?

Fully loaded with 20 gallons of water, food and gear for 2 people for 5 days, fire wood, more crap that you really need - it weighed in under 1500 pounds.

My old dodge doesn't even know it is back there. And it keeps me close to a reasonable gross combined weight when I haul my Scout around. Without a trailer my mileage only drops 1 mpg.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I would base everything off the size of the camper. They are heavy SOBs add a slide out and they get to be around 4-5K. If you don't have the room they can be a PITA to take off and on everytime you go out and they are crazy expenisve for even used ones. If i were to do it all over i would buy a long bed dually 3500 truck to start then look for a good used Lance. From my research the Lances are some of the best made. I just bought a 2000 Lance 825 that is in exellent condition it weighs in at 1800 dry and comes with everthing execpt a TV and micowave. It sags my 2500 srw really bad but some air bags with solve that. They go from 2K (pos) to over 50K for a fully decked out brand new one.

loaded Lance 825 on a 06 Dodge Ram 4x4 w/35"s, 2" spacer in front

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Here is mine - 9' Fleetwood Elkhron

FYI - newer trucks with older campers often need a spacer in the bed to clear the bedrails (my cummins needed 1.5") and the pre '93 campers might not even fit in between the bedrails.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Here's my ongoing project. 1997 Dodge Cummins on 37" E-rated MTR's with 8Ft 1995ish Jayco pop-up camper. This pic is with a friends truck in my dump-trailer after he rolled it. The SRW on 37's is fine but the dump trailer sucks for towing. It is only 14 long so I always end up with way too much tongue weight.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Subscribing, thinking about the same thing

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Funny, I am about to do the same.
Have a 27' Class C for sale and will be down sizing to a camper for the back of my truck.
I am running a 3/4 ton short bed diesel and most anything with toilet will be over weight towing my Jeep. I have looked at a few campers and like the Lance 865 so far. between 1850 and 2200lbs dry
I want to see how people are hooking to their trailers with an exteded camper.
All single hitch extenders are rated at 350 and 3500 lbs.
Not sure what a weight distribution hitch would bring that to?
I think I may add a second receiver to a Class V hitch and build a double extender but I want to see what others have done first.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
My set up above (maroon dodge/blue buggy) is a cummins 3500 SRW longbed with a 9' camper and no extension. Its a little tight with sharp turns but works good.

The camper is fully self contained and stamped 1780# dry but closer to 3000# loaded ready to go and the trailer is 6500# with the crawler. With spacers on the overloads and a WD hitch truck sits level but the 35" BFG's are a little squishy for my liking but not technically "overloaded". If the camper was any heavier I would move into 19.5 singles and a heavy rear sway bar.

It actually drives better with the trailer than without.

·
Registered
8,288 Posts
Here's mine, no pics with my jeep and trailer on though. It's an 06 Palomino Bronco 9.5' pop-up, I think the sticker says 1600lbs? I tow my trailer without an extension, though I recently took one foot off of the front of my deck to make more turning room. My tongue was only 3' long and if I turned sharp I could catch my camper jack if I wasn't careful. Now with a 4' tongue I should have zero issues.
Travis..

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
15,200 lbs on a CAT scale fully loaded with 5 tanks of propane for the Jeep, 30 Gal of water, spares, tools, food, beer, kids and wife.
9900 lbs on the truck and 5300 for the Jeep.
The camper is a 2001 hide away 9.5 foot with all the amenities and fully loaded with water, food and fuel is 3100 lbs.

11 mpg with 195,000 mile 7.3 IDI powerstroke. Works good but don't like hills.

Would be a perfect setup if I had a trailer.

Attachments

·
Registered
252 Posts
My heavy weight package ( 17K) , I also have a smaller popup truck camper for deeper woods trips ( 14K ) Best possible combo for the wheeling we do up here. You pretty much need a 4x4 just to get to the camp sites.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Sean, that Ardbeg or on the way to Timbers, hell it could be Lingham. Looks familiar but trees and a water hole all look the same.

Damn beer goggles make me spell Sean, Shawn, Shaun, Cheyne, Dave all wrong. :D

·
Registered
252 Posts
dvs=devious not Dave's... Come on Chris you should know my name by now. lol

That was heading into the timbers 2 yrs ago, Damn Canadian Beaver flooded out 1/4 mile of the road on a corner, thankfully I knew where the road was, just prayed there wasn't a wash out I couldn't see..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i have been really looking into the lance 855, lance 821 and the fleetwood elkhorn for my shortbed chevy 2500 HD :flipoff2:

1 - 20 of 263 Posts