·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
Used without jeeps too

Attachments

·
Registered
8,288 Posts
Seen 2 pics in the thread with people that have utility beds and campers. Just wondering if anyone has anymore pictures of truck campers and utility beds. Or if anyone has any experience with the combo. One person said they had to mod the bed.. I'm very interested in this setup and would like to go this route, so any helpful info is appreciated.
One of the big problems with utility beds and cab-over campers is floor height. The floor in a utility bed is typically 4" + higher than where the factory pick-up bed floor is. This puts the camper up higher over the cab making the distance between the cab and cab-over comparitively huge. The other problem is floor width. Some beds are kinda narrow inside due to having deep side boxes. Yet another snag is campers with bathrooms typically are wider at the bathroom. You aren't gonna find a utility bed that is wide enough to accomodate it, so you need to notch bed on the side with the bathroom. If none of this drives you away, it can be a good way to make use of all of the wasted space between the bed sides and the camper.
Travis..

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
What's your solution for camper steps?
With no trailer I just use those scissor steps, but while the truck is not lifted they are still kinda short. I saw 5-6 step setups but those are 200$.
What's cheaper?

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
I built a receiver basket that doubles as a patio and has a flip down step that fills the role of one side of the basket when flipped up.

Not cheap if you value your time however.

·
Registered
8,288 Posts
My camper came with a set of 4 step scissors, so that's what I always used. A friend of mine uses a hitch basket deal as a patio since he never tows a trailer. It's a bit of a step up, but works good for him.
Travis..

·
Registered
245 Posts
My TC with little blue bradley55 on the Mojave Road:

33x15.50's on 12" wide Mickey Thompson super single wheels:

8 ton pintel and 16 ton lunette on little blue Bradley55

3" lift all around with longer 4-links:

Warn M15000/Warn carrier/spruced up bovine deflector and 26K pound cement mixer D rings:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here's my setup

I've got an old 1991 Six-Pac I've restored setting in the back of my 06 mega cab (Hemi) just a few things I've done include installed air conditioning, microwave, new batteries and a 55amp digital charger, all led bulbs and tons of odds and ends. I used one of the two closets to house the window AC unit and microwave. The actual condenser is ducted out through the side by cutting a hole and adding a gable vent from home Depot. The AC condenser sucks in air on the bottom of the camper between the truck bed-side and the camper. I have also added an in wall electric heater 115v that features adjustable wattage settings. I have it set on 750w and it's perfect! But if I decide to go to snowy conditions I can easily switch it to 1500. My generators are a Honda eu2000i, Champion 2000 inverter generator and a champion 4000 open frame generator with remote electric start. I have also installed a 7 pin trailer plug that plugs the campers electrical system (two deep cycle Marine batteries) and running lights into the trucks this way everything stays charged either by the digital camper charger or by the trucks 250amp high output alternator. I've built all the camper mount myself using receiver hitch stock. I've also incorporated a patio umbrella what swings out to supply the much needed shade when camping in the Las VEGAS desert.

·
Registered
479 Posts
So after this old girl:

I have been looking for a cheap, solid and dry truck camper for the front of my trailer. So far so good..Found one local...we made a nice mount so a fork lift can take it off, room for propane tanks, coolers and other storage space. Also a nice and SIMPLE way to attach it:

221 - 240 of 263 Posts