Pirate 4x4 banner

81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Jeep Cherokee
1,934 Posts
Father in law has a 4 post. Great for storing cars. If you want it to work on cars you buy even more stuff to use it like a two post lift.

I’m just hoping the upside is ‘work from home’ becomes a viable option moving forward.

·
Registered
17,017 Posts
I left the architecture firm I was at the first week of January, after losing $52,000 in Q3/Q4-2019 due to issues with my partners, and went back to working solo. I cut my losses and my recurring expenses just in time for this pandemic.

My gun collection is now worth at least double. I have so many I could easily sell off a few if I needed it for bills (thankfully I don't).

The market is going to be flooded with guns and ammo in a few months, and I plan to snatch some of it up for cheap.

The need to practice social distancing has caused almost no changes in my lifestyle.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Dead would be good, didn't plan on being alive this long! :D I'm working on a better plan now. The world I was prepared for doesn't exist anymore so I'm trying to adapt to live in the one that took its place. You know the Peanuts scene where Lucy pulls the football that Charlie Brown was about to kick out from under him but he'd already fully committed so he falls on his ass? First Lucy is my ex wife, the football was my money/future and I'm Charlie Brown. Now Lucy is the Democrats, the football is the Oilfield and I'm still Charlie Brown.

I would have owned my home free and clear in less than 10 years and been debt free with a fat 401K and huge egg in savings at 40 if my partner had stuck to the plan. Forces outside my control crashed that. Then once on my own I was having a good comeback from nothing but now my livelihood is gone with Nat Gas and Oil in the crapper. I'm not looking for sympathy, I got this under control. The common theme in my life is investing everything and losing everything. So when you want to know why I'm gun shy about listening to a word you or anyone like you have to say, I don't trust. I don't trust anyone, plain and simple. 3 times now the economy crashing has turned hundreds of thousands of my hard earned dollars into dust. I'd be happier old and poor knowing I'd snorted that in coke out of a hookers ass than losing it all one more time. I've never regretted having a truck, I've regretted every investment I've ever made. I do have untouchable stuff stashed away for the future, but at this point I don't trust that it will be there when the time comes because that would be my luck.
Damn, dude... you sound a lot like me. I went to the oilfield at 37, worked my ever-loving ass off, made a solid 6 figures (plus military retirement and VA disability compensation on top of it) while living off $1,000/mo in an RV, only for oil to crash and I returned to find the ex had run up six-figures of debt, not paid the car notes, all utilities were at the verge of shut-off, and the house was falling apart.

I finally got to a great place again last year, only to have a work outage due to surgery, followed by bad news from the city in the form of $20-25,000 out of my pocket by September, and now the Kung Flu pausing my primary source of income. But I am lucky enough to have a partner this time committed to the future and sticking to the plan, so there are no bill collectors calling and it will just push me closer to the deadline for saving the $25k in a separate, dedicated account fro the expense.

·
Registered
66,767 Posts
The need to practice social distancing has caused almost no changes in my lifestyle.

Same here. I live on 11.2 acres and co-maintain 403 acres up the road apiece. Getting to that parcel could prove to be difficult in the weeks / months to come but I'm optimistic about it going forward.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Finally getting a few projects done around the house and it's that time of year for the annual 401k contribution, probably a good time to stick an extra $10-15k in for the future

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
The only upside I can see for me is I might actually make some money in the stock market for once. Otherwise it's all negative. WAIT, I did make burger buns from scratch last night. And I'm cooking more than usual, which I enjoy doing.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Some stocks are at bargain basement discount pricing. AND I have a lot of cash on hand that will be put into the market over the next 12 months. After previous market corrections I never had the $$ to invest. I am no Dave Ramsey acolyte but his principles of killing debt and having savings and cash have sure put me in a good position right now. Very fortunate and nice to have the last 10 years of financial discipline and hard work pay off

Would love to upgrade my F350 but will not take on a car payment and would rather put cash into the market where it will see a solid return. Not into an “investment” that devalues every mile it is driven.

Should things go as I expect in the next year I may look for a couple more collector Ducati’s.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Some stocks are at bargain basement discount pricing. AND I have a lot of cash on hand that will be put into the market over the next 12 months. After previous market corrections I never had the $$ to invest. I am no Dave Ramsey acolyte but his principles of killing debt and having savings and cash have sure put me in a good position right now. Very fortunate and nice to have the last 10 years of financial discipline and hard work pay off

Would love to upgrade my F350 but will not take on a car payment and would rather put cash into the market where it will see a solid return. Not into an “investment” that devalues every mile it is driven.

Should things go as I expect in the next year I may look for a couple more collector Ducati’s.
Pics of current Ducatis. Solid.
Cash is King rt now

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Cash is King rt now

I was just beginning to paper trade so when it finally stabilizes I may jump back in again. I day traded best I could during the dot com shit show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had my first Corona symptom yesterday. I went to the bathroom and had to use SINGLE PLY toilet paper. How will we ever survive?

I live on a farm in the country already and have an internet business, so I already would only see my wife and kids on a normal day. The power is on and the internet still works so the only change I notice is that my wife and kids are home all day now. My upside is that I don't have to drop off and pick up the kids from school so my gas cost is down. I am not what you would call a preper, but I am way more prepared than most people are. Even if things get bad, I am not worried. My chickens will still be laying, there is still plenty of canned food and my potatoes will still grow. Nothing beats growing up on a farm when it comes to knowing how to survive in a crunch.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Cash is King rt now

Need to figure out posting pics post photobucket debacle

'83 Hailwood Special 5K miles
94 907 IE 6K miles
2003 MV Augusta Tamburini 125 miles (not misprint 125 miles)

·
Registered
12,186 Posts
I'm patiently waiting for my vacation/retirement house or property to come to market.
Lots of people bought VRBO rentals, and are now stuck with the mortgage with no income. One of the condo's we stayed in Maui was $450k unit, plus $1200 condo fee, plus taxes and insurance. So that's about $4200 a month someone is eating until this is over. I think there will some folks in that market that won't make it. After it sits for 4-5 months people will just bail on them.

Local VRBO is fine because people come to this area to hide from the outbreak until they shut it down. But area's along the beaches and Hawaii that are shut down will have a hard time for a while. It will probably be a year until we see those units on the market.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My silver lining is that because things are slower & distractions are limited, I get to spend more one on one time with my close friends, bbq, and catch up over some fine whiskey.

·
Baconologyst
9,972 Posts
Gas prices for sure

If we can defer car payments for a couple months we can pay off the pups surgery faster. Then get back to making extra car payments to get those paid off (we tend to keep cars a while)

Mrs gets to work from home. It’s going to be rough if they make her commute again when this is over, she has been trying to work from home for years

I am considered “essential” at work so no changes to income :homer:

·
Registered
14,843 Posts
Family bonds get stronger.
People realize we don't need the public school system.

So much for the myth that "home schooled kids are weird socially" because right now every kid in the US is being home schooled.

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
Family bonds get stronger.
People realize we don't need the public school system.

So much for the myth that "home schooled kids are weird socially" because right now every kid in the US is being home schooled.
Every home school kid I ever met was weird as fuck. Private/charter school kids are also a tick off.

81 - 100 of 101 Posts