Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
changing to 1-ton ford axles and was wondering what is the max you can run for back spacing on the wheel. Ive read about 5" but was wondering what the max was. I really want to run full length axles but need it to be street legal.

·
Registered
512 Posts
changing to 1-ton ford axles and was wondering what is the max you can run for back spacing on the wheel. Ive read about 5" but was wondering what the max was. I really want to run full length axles but need it to be street legal.
tape measures are wonders

·
O-ring Technologist
1,261 Posts
Also depends on rim diameter. If you're thinking about a 15" rim, be prepaired for a lot of caliper clearancing!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well i plan on running 16" wheels. Also if i had an idiea how to measure it i would have not asked. I was just asking since there are alot of guys running 1-tons now. I have herd people running 5" is this the normal people run with the 1-tons?

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
are you trying to keep the tires in the wheel wells...?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes and no, I want to try and keep it reasonable. I know running full length axle will be sticking out, I just dont want them alot, I plan on running 12.50 tires probally between 35-38", I plan on useing some type of flare on the fender, so basically i want to try and keep the width down. I read about going to wagoneer length also, I have no problems doing this but mainly want to keep the axles full length. Thats why i asked about wheel back spacing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the pic it helps out alot, I have a 1gen too. I think im going to need two sets of tires one for street use and some to put on when i go wheeling. Another question if i choose to cut down one of my d60 fronts and go with wagoneer length and run the stock toy leaf spacing isnt there a chance of the tire hitting the spring?

·
O-ring Technologist
1,261 Posts
Thanks for the pic it helps out alot, I have a 1gen too. I think im going to need two sets of tires one for street use and some to put on when i go wheeling. Another question if i choose to cut down one of my d60 fronts and go with wagoneer length and run the stock toy leaf spacing isnt there a chance of the tire hitting the spring?

Don't do it! Leave them full width. You'll regret it later. Just make some removeable mudflaps/ fender flares for street use; probably easier to put on and take off than a set of wheels and tires IMHO.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
i am running 42tsl's on 15's with 2.5" backspacing and some removeable semi mud flaps and never been hassled as long as you dont drive like an ass. also height makes a big difference, most the trucks i know of that get hassled are fullsizes with 42-44" and they are jacked way up and look alot bigger.

here is the best pics i have of the front:

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
Another question if i choose to cut down one of my d60 fronts and go with wagoneer length and run the stock toy leaf spacing isnt there a chance of the tire hitting the spring?
"Wagoneer" length doesn't make much sense on a D60 since waggys never came with a 60... :confused:

Anyway, if you cut the long side down just enough to make the spring perch width the same as Toy (2.5" I believe?), then the tire to spring clearance won't change at all. :smokin: Its a good option.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
From what i read about you can cut the long side of the d60, and ude the inner axle from a wagoneer so there would be no custom axle. Thats what i ment or refered to when i said wagoneer length. Am i wrong for saying this? Is there a better term to use so everybody would know what im talking about? ryantowry_81 Your yota is looking good.

·
Registered
41 Posts
not sure if they bolt up to a ford 8 lug but hummer beadlocks have 7" offset in a 16.5. ya there heavy but its a double beadlock. iv got a set im gonna run on my yota, but im recentering for toy axles and 3" offset. they look badass with rockrings too

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
From what i read about you can cut the long side of the d60, and ude the inner axle from a wagoneer so there would be no custom axle. Thats what i ment or refered to when i said wagoneer length. Am i wrong for saying this? Is there a better term to use so everybody would know what im talking about? ryantowry_81 Your yota is looking good.
thanks, i hope to get it wheeling alot this summer.

as for the wagoneer axle, i highly doubt it cause the wagoneer axle was a 44 not a 60....last i checked they were not the same.

not sure if they bolt up to a ford 8 lug but hummer beadlocks have 7" offset in a 16.5. ya there heavy but its a double beadlock. iv got a set im gonna run on my yota, but im recentering for toy axles and 3" offset. they look badass with rockrings too
they will fit a ford if they are pre superduty axles with the 8x6.5 lug pattern.

alot of weight can be taken out if you take out the run flat and mke a center or buy a spacer to make the bead lock work. also be concious that when using hummer rims on a 60 if you have king pin hysteer then you have to watch the clearance there, i have seen them tough and special arms were made, and are now offered by many companies.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Did I miss something? I had no idea Ford dana 60's had a passenger side diff, or is your 1st Gen driver drop.....?

·
O-ring Technologist
1,261 Posts
alot of weight can be taken out if you take out the run flat and mke a center or buy a spacer to make the bead lock work. also be concious that when using hummer rims on a 60 if you have king pin hysteer then you have to watch the clearance there, i have seen them tough and special arms were made, and are now offered by many companies.
I have 3" backspaced Hummer rims and I have 4 1/4" clearance from the inside of the rim to the outside edge of my Ballistic hi-steer arms. So the hi-steer is not a problem; your area of concer would be the stock tie rod mounts on the knuckle as they sit further outboard than the hi-steer arms do by a little more than an inch.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
YotaLay I had a neighbor who passed away and was left with a bunch of ford parts, he used to run a 4 wheel side job to earn money when he was younger and had two tractor trailer full of ford parts egines, trannies, tcases, full axles, a couple of chevy motors, and a few cummins motors and a bunch of other mics parts. My bother and I are using alot of parts to build my toyota up so that why they are ford axles, Also got a 78-79 for pick up which will be turned into a diesel hauler for what ever we need. I AM NOT SELLING ANYTHING SO PLEASE DONT ASK, I dont think it would be fair to sell anything do to the fact that he thought about me when he wrote his will plus he has taught me to be a pack rat.

·
Registered
643 Posts
YotaLay I had a neighbor who passed away and was left with a bunch of ford parts, he used to run a 4 wheel side job to earn money when he was younger and had two tractor trailer full of ford parts egines, trannies, tcases, full axles, a couple of chevy motors, and a few cummins motors and a bunch of other mics parts. My bother and I are using alot of parts to build my toyota up so that why they are ford axles, Also got a 78-79 for pick up which will be turned into a diesel hauler for what ever we need. I AM NOT SELLING ANYTHING SO PLEASE DONT ASK, I dont think it would be fair to sell anything do to the fact that he thought about me when he wrote his will plus he has taught me to be a pack rat.
That's very nice... But you still can't use a driver drop on a 1st Gen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
ya leave it long cutting it down will leave you regretting big time, i'm running gm full width on 39.5 12.5 16.5 hummer bead locks with leafs the only issue i had was the tire rubbed just a hair on the spring behind the front tire i adjusted my steering stop [little bolt on the knuckle] now i have no issues at all
...remember SIMPLE IS BEST!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts