Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
VerticalScope Sucks
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't need the self raising type. Just something to push the project vehicle sideways in my shop to clear the door.

I'd bought 4 of these when they were on sale: https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/2-pc-2-000-lb-vehicle-dollies/A-p8683328e

I believe they would be exactly the same as the Horror Fraught ones, other than the colour and the stickers. They work not great, but manageable for anything lighter than a truck or a built Jeep, but have bent from being overloaded. Basically, if you stuck to a 4000lb vehicle between 4 of them, it would be okay. Most things I own weigh more than that.

Then these went on sale, so I bought a pair: https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/2-pc-heavy-duty-auto-dollies/A-p8487795e

They don't even work as well as the other ones, because the casters are totally janky. Otherwise they're better built, but that's still stupid if you can't actually move the vehicle.

So, what's out there that's better?

I can get these off Amazon.ca: https://www.amazon.ca/ATD-7466-Tools-Heavy-Dolly/dp/B00A7EOSI4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500859169&sr=8-1&keywords=wheel+dolly

I don't know what else there is in Canada. There's options on Amazon.com.

Or just buy good casters and build them?

·
Registered
VerticalScope Sucks
22,734 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'd put some decent casters(maybe a little bit taller too, if you need the ground clearance) on the second set you bought and call it a day. I have a set of them and they worked alright for me(race cars in the shop only) until they would occasionally shit a caster

·
Registered
VerticalScope Sucks
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd put some decent casters(maybe a little bit taller too, if you need the ground clearance) on the second set you bought and call it a day. I have a set of them and they worked alright for me(race cars in the shop only) until they would occasionally shit a caster
Is a caster like this going to hold up?

5 x 1.25 THREADED SWIVEL STEM CASTER w/BRAKE | Threaded Stem Casters | Casters | Wheels | www.surpluscenter.com

It's the highest rated stem caster that looks like it has decent bearings. :confused:

·
Registered
11,202 Posts
I'd get ones with steel/iron wheels

the difference in rolling resistance from the steel on concrete rather than rubber makes up for the bearing type many times over
ETA: they got some at home depot, looking at surpluscenter they don't seem to have ones with 2" iron wheels

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
^^^^^^
This

You can build a stout set even without welding by using thicker angle or flat and bolting them together.
These: 3" Dia x 1-13/16" Swivel Plate Caster | Plate Casters | Casters | Wheels | www.surpluscenter.com are pretty awesome. Short enough to fit under stuff but heavy duty and cheap. I've got them under all my machine tools and some other stuff. No complains. Easy to roll and turn though still prone to get stuck on junk on the ground like any other caster.

edit:
They're rated 700 lb and I can say with experience they're good for that and more. I've got 4 under my bridgeport & gear shaper which are both 3000+ lb. They definitely take some effort to move, but I can easily move the machinery by myself as long as the floor is decently clean. The wheels are hard rubber. I don't think steel wheels would be any better honestly. $4 each, totally worth it. I probably have 30 of them in a box waiting for me to find more things to put wheels on...

·
Registered
619 Posts
We have the half expensive ones from Northern Tool, the casters get stuck on fawking everything :mad3:

Not to mention they would only open up to go around a 26" car tire. Drilled new holes to spread them an extra 6" or so, working so far.

1 or 2 of the casters are really stiff already, may have been using them to roll cars off of rollbacks :laughing:

Casters in the 3" range would be great. The roll under, pump up action is super convenient, but I'll never vouch for these things again. I'm sure the $$$$ name brand Go Jacks are fine.

I'll be making my own next time around. There's a floor jack in the corner anyway.

·
Registered
8,129 Posts
I can verify that the Go Jacks are worth every penny. Of course i scored mine at a ridiculously low price, otherwise i wouldn't own them.:homer:

·
Registered
11,202 Posts
you don't want 8" casters, unless you're going to make the platforms like 2'+ square they'll tip over real easy if you try and use them as moving dollies (which you will)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts