Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Surgical Shotgunner
15,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do you prefer on your Smith patterned revolvers, specifically L/K frames? Square butt or round butt and why?

pictures for those that need it:

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have several model 60 38 special pistols that are plain jane. the other grip I use and like for concealment is something called the Barami. It's a lip on the grip on the right side of the gun. Allows me to carry mexican style and it's much more concealable than any semiauto I have.
On the bigger .357 I have (your middle picture) I made some cocobolo grips that are very close to what's in your picture. Fits my hands really well and makes it a little easier to shoot the big loads in 357 in a relatively small gun.

·
Snooty Poser
1,121 Posts
I prefer the way the OEM Square looks, but prefer to shoot with a grip like the center photo.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
With a round but you can get grips that mimic a square but grip, with a square but you cannot get grips that mimic a round but.

That said most of my K, L and N frame smiths are square.

·
Surgical Shotgunner
15,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With a round but you can get grips that mimic a square but grip, with a square but you cannot get grips that mimic a round but.

That said most of my K, L and N frame smiths are square.
my latest 686 is round butt and i think i am going with the "combat" style grips like the middle picture shows. fit me well.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
I've got a set of wood Hogue's with no finger grooves or checkering on my mod 65. Miculeks on my mod 25. I prefer the Hogue's between the two as they're fatter and seem to spread the recoil out a bit better.

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
On my 686 I prefer the stock Goncalo alves. My hands are on the big side and the smaller round grips don't feel comfortable.

·
Surgical Shotgunner
15,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On my 686 I prefer the stock Goncalo alves. My hands are on the big side and the smaller round grips don't feel comfortable.
i wish i could find a set of the factory GA finger grooves. have you priced them lately? they cost more than half of what i paid for my last 686.

it came with rubber hogue grips but im not a fan since they feel cheap and kinda clap around the actual frame too much. im going to get a set of goncalo alves in a round to square conversion grip.

·
Registered
12,951 Posts
My model 19 had Pachmeyers which fit my big hands

·
Registered
522 Posts
Round or Square matters not to me. All concealment pieces will receive boot grips or something similar. Lately I have taken to ordering from those guys in Thailand that are flooding evilbay with revolver grips. Excellent products at minimal prices. Plus they have done some modifying at my request. At less than $50 for a set of handmade wooden grips ain't bad at all.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I love wood grips, when I do install rubber, I try to find the discontinued old style Pachmeyr Compac grips

For wood, on square or round, I my favorite are the grips handmade by Craig Spigel on the Oregon coast, they are perfect for my hands and very reasonable. I also really like the old factory finger groove wood ones made by Ahrends. The most grip-for-the-money and shortest wait time are Altamont grips, I have ordered several pairs from them, and they are excellent for the dollar and they have a bunch of styles & types to choose from. They are cheap enough you don't feel bad about sanding them to fit your hands.

Also the old style Herrett and Eagle brand wood grips are very nice as well, especially the old skip-checkered Herretts.

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
I just can't adjust to wood grips on ANY wheel gun. All of my Rugers/ Smiths have Hogue grips.

They just fit. I did buy the wife a little Taurus that sports some rubber grips that were comfy out of the box.

·
Premium Member
8,701 Posts
stag.jpg

Some random internet pic, but I think they are cool and would love to try a set.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts

I have a set of wood hogue grips on my 627. they had finger grooves in them but I hand picked the grips and had them remove the groves and thin the left side toward the top for easier loading of moon clips. they work and feel awesome.

-scott

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
I have a set of Hogue and Crimson Trace grips on my SW 681. The Hogues haven't been back on since I bought the laser grips. The CT grip seems to offer a larger grip and feel a lot more comfortable in my hand.

It's just a night stand gun now anyways.

DSC00786.jpg

the stickers aren't on there anymore before anyone chimes in :flipoff2:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts