Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:D:

Who can tell me what's the benefit of using IFS wheel hub carriers? huh!? besides the lckg hub is further inside wheel

Let's put all "Wheel Spacer" Q's & A's in HERE> :idea:

I've searched through a DOZEN Posts but don't see a most popular OR clear answer. :shaking:

This topic is to cover only Toyota front live axle and what's best for spacers.

Going on that we install a 2nd Generation rear axle which is 3" wider than 1st and wanting to come close to matching it to the front width what is the best way :confused:

Question / Option #1:
Do you go to http://www.allprooffroad.com/wspacer.html
and spend $169. for spacers that bolt on outside of Rotor

OR

Question / Option #2
Do you go to http://www.frontrangeoffroadfab.com/wide.htm for $299.
Other? Any body? spend XXX$$$
and use IFS Hubs with spacers between IFS hub and rotor

I thinks it's odd the prices$$ are so different Seems the spacer between rotor and wheel hub is easier to build than AllPro's

Obviuosly both give you more width and clearance from caliper's
But is there an additional benefit more over the other?

Question #3
Does the IFS hub hide/tuck or protect the locking hub deeper inside the wheel?

Thanks to Shane mem#2625
He say's "The offset of the IFS wheel hubs is different from that of the live axle wheel hubs. They however use the same bearings so it's an easy bolt-on mod"

Top picture has IFS hub on left and Live axle on the Right

Thanks too "BrianR"
1.5 wheel adapters for $75. http://www.wheeladapter.com

·
Registered
940 Posts
damn, those are some sweet lookin ash trays!!!

otherwise, i'm running the sky wide axle kit and yes, the locking hub is "deeper" inside the wheel. i've always thought wheel spacers were no-no's, but i could be wrong or it might not matter...

btw, just checked sky's site, the kit is $175 on sale

·
Banned
9,402 Posts
Rockbuggysuppy.com for wheel spacers
1.5" for $45 each
2" for $52 each

Sky-Manufacturing.com for IFS hubs
$175 for about 66mm wider track up front

I like the IFS hub idea better since the rotor spacer only has to handle the braking forces instead of the wheel spacer needing to support the braking, accelerating and cornering forces of the whole vehicle, but the wheel spacers are cheaper.

I think I need to go wider up front to get my turning radius back since my BS on my rims SUCK but I still haven't decided which way I will go.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I have AIM 1.5" on mine. Been great so far.

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
so how is the load different between running spacers or spacing out the rotors? Seems like they would be the same load to me. Am i right? It would also be the same load as running less backspacing, right, or is one stronger than the other?

Garrett

·
Registered
429 Posts
are fj40 rotors bigger in diameter than the IFS ones? (is this what keeps you from losing pad contact?)

my truck will stay my DD for quite a while and i dont want to lose -any- braking ability with the sas i plan on doing in the near future..

knocking out some of the spacers to go between the hubs and rotors doesnt seem too difficult, if i can find the material, but if i lose that 1/8 inch of pad contact someone mentioned before, i dont so much like the idea of it..

i do not, however, want to go with the shorter track width, and especially not the unvented rotors of the stock sfa brakes.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
pm Sw Tubeworks, he made a run of rotor spacers a while back. We ran them on the buggae. He sells them for way cheaper than what you posted. They are an easy bolt on mod and allow you to run the better IFS brakes as well....and guess what no $$$$$$$ Fj80 shiat like "other" companies want to sell you.

·
Registered
477 Posts
what's the diff btwn sky's spacer, fror's spacer and SW Tubeworx spacer????????????

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
i don't think tube works sells them anymore...i have emailed him about them before....

FROR kit lets u use the IFS brakes and hubs

the sky kit makes u use SA calipers and rotors and you just use the IFS hub

i would rather have the kit to use the IFS stuff personally...but i think for alan's price on spacers i might just buy the 2" ones..

·
Registered
940 Posts
brimy311 said:

the sky kit makes u use SA calipers and rotors and you just use the IFS hub
This isn't true, with sky's you can use the IFS bearing hub and either SA calipers and SA non-vented rotors, or IFS calipers and fj-40/fj-60 vented rotors. The SA locking hub is used, too.

link

·
Registered
13,348 Posts
brimy311 said:
i don't think tube works sells them anymore...i have emailed him about them before....
I pm'd Scott about them back in December and he said he was out of them but would be making another run as soon as the rain's came. Maybe that means spring?:confused:

I want to be able to re-use all my IFS stuff too.:D

·
Registered
233 Posts
so how is the load different between running spacers or spacing out the rotors? Seems like they would be the same load to me. Am i right? It would also be the same load as running less backspacing, right, or is one stronger than the other?
My understanding with the little engineering knowledge I have is just what 4RnrRick said
I like the IFS hub idea better since the rotor spacer only has to handle the braking forces instead of the wheel spacer needing to support the braking, accelerating and cornering forces of the whole vehicle, but the wheel spacers are cheaper.
The load of the vehicle is the same, but the forces transferred through the spacers is different. on the wheel spacer that bolts to the existing wheel studs and provides new studs (as allpro's 1.5" do) you transfer the forces from the load of the vehicle, the cornering forces, acceleration (when in 4wheel) and braking forces from the wheel to the hub or the hub to the wheel through that spacer.

With the rotor spacer the cornering, load, and acceleration forces are never transfered through the spacer. the only force to be transfered through this spacer in the braking force.

my $.02

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
ForestCam said:

I pm'd Scott about them back in December and he said he was out of them but would be making another run as soon as the rain's came. Maybe that means spring?:confused:

I want to be able to re-use all my IFS stuff too.:D
ROFL

that is a pissfunny avatar

have you got a fullsize of it?

·
Registered
13,348 Posts
1 - 20 of 61 Posts