Pirate 4x4 banner

Wheel Spacers

917 views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  mano002 
#1 ·
I'm getting some wider tires and wheels with more backspacing for my 68' FJ40. I'm guessing they are going to rub something fierce (or not fit at all) unless I get some wheel spacers in there. I don't know the exact backspacing yet; haven't picked them up yet.

Questions-
Do TLC wheel bearings stand up to the stress of wheel spacers?

Am I going to be able to turn this damn thing? I don't have power steering at all, and it's not easy to steer aired down to just 15 with my bald 31" tires. On the upside, my girlfriend likes that my arms are really bulking up and gettting toned..

If you run spacers on your Cruiser, how thick? How's it work for you?

-tom

#5 ·
Regardless of what type of spacer he plans on using, the steering will get harder and harder the wider he gets with the stock steering.

Yes, the bearings will hold up fine..that theory mainly applies to a slammed Geo Metro with some Bling Bling 17's on it and 1" of backspacing. Cruisers are overbuilt and can easily handle the added stress.

You really need to check the wheels you are getting for backspacing. For 15" wheels on an FJ-40, you will need 3.5" of backspacing on the front to clear the tie rod ends.

When I first bought wheels for my Fj-40, they had 3.75" of BS. I had to buy 1/4" spacers from Pep Boys to clear the tie rods.

I also ran them in the rear to keep my tire from hitting the channel in the rear fender area that supports the roll bar, each time I took a corner.

Buy the right wheels the 1st time and don't mess with the spacers if you can. If not, start saving your nickles for a P/S conversion.

#7 ·
mano002 said:
When I bought my new rims I had to put 1/4" spacers to keep the rim from hitting the brake caliper. I don't know the backspacing though.
I would say 3.75....

Get 2" BS rims (and powersteering) and be done with it..

You can get them pretty cheap usually.

Also Allied Is having a good sale on their beadlocks. Any lug pattern I think the price is ~ $149

Heck they even have oddball patterns like Rovers..

#8 ·
Wow, where is Allied, and is it the bead locks, or whole rims? I personally hate my polished aluminum rims, they look nice from far, then you look close and they're all chewed up and pitted. I'd like to get beadlocks, I guess I'll get the 2" backspacing. I actually have a power steering system off an 80s cruiser in it right now, so it'd be fine I'm sure.

Rocks + Aluminum Rims = Trashed Rims

#10 ·
the bearing will hold up (not as long but they will hold up)

It is very hard on your steering and lets jst say your gf will love the work out you get.

with 3.75 bs and 31's on my cruiser it is a major bitch to turn

with more bs turning in a parking lot (static) will be easier (wheel rotates around turinging point) however with more bs turing while moving will get harrder and turnign when there is a rock int eh way will get a lot harder real fast

i also stripped 6 studs using spacers

get the right rims and do a ps coversion.

#12 ·
Yeah I remember the month or so that I had 32x11.5 BFG mud terrains without the power steering. Wow, what a difference from the stock tires. I used to get so tired 4bying that I'd get a friend to drive the logging road home! The power steering was the best 100$ I ever spent. I will look into the 2" backspacing so I can get rid of the spacers, I sheared all the studs on one rear tire already, not sure if it was from the spacer or not. I took the ones out on the back because of that. But, I had a bad spell of people loosening lug nuts on my ride for a while, so it coulda been them too. I'll get those bastards one day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.