Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Funny I was thinking about this during my drive back from the PNW and talking with Corey Young a little about it. (just realized he bumped the thread :homer: )

The last post makes sense to me, once the sidewalls are about vertical the tread is going to want to cave in, at least on a bias, a radial may not care since the sidewalls flex so well.

I definitely think you can go too wide, not only will the tread want to cave in, but I would think you will loose sidehill stability.

I feel like 3-4" less than tread width is probably good, depending on height. The 54s and 49s I've seen on 14s seemed perfect. But honestly, even the 49s and 47 pit bulls I've seen on H1's seemed to work OK. Even a 12" on a 14" tire might be a bit much. Especially since you are going to have a lot of sidewall. I would love to see someone compare different width wheels on the same tire.
With radial tires, I don’t think you can go too wide as long as the wheel is narrower than the tire due to the fact the the steel belted radial tread composition won’t let it “cave in”.

With that said, I have 36x14.5r15 radial STS on 15x7 steel wheels, no beadlocks just duct tape. My buddy has the exact same tires on 15x10 method beadlocks (15x11). His tires are considerably wider and the tread is “flatter” where mine are maybe .5” taller but the tread has some “rounding” to it due to the narrow wheels. I do think his work better than mine, but his are on a RZR and mine in a cj5 :grinpimp:

·
Vendor
975 Posts
for all of you worried about losing the inner bead, I've been gluing on tires with weatherstrip adhesive for years with quite the success. But its kinda a trick to get it tacky enough to stick right, but but not peal out the way when you air up. So I have switched to 3M5200 Marine adhesive. It takes a week to fully cure, but have used it the same day with success. So for all the rims with outer bead locks, glue on the inner bead with 3M5200. On my rodeo I run 35" radials on 10" wide wheels, or 36" swampers on 10" wheels, with nothing but the glue. As long as you don't have to winch sideways they stay on fine at 3 psi.

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
for all of you worried about losing the inner bead, I've been gluing on tires with weatherstrip adhesive for years with quite the success. But its kinda a trick to get it tacky enough to stick right, but but not peal out the way when you air up. So I have switched to 3M5200 Marine adhesive. It takes a week to fully cure, but have used it the same day with success. So for all the rims with outer bead locks, glue on the inner bead with 3M5200. On my rodeo I run 35" radials on 10" wide wheels, or 36" swampers on 10" wheels, with nothing but the glue. As long as you don't have to winch sideways they stay on fine at 3 psi.
Carl, that is way too much work. Duct tape them beads and you can run 0 psi if you wanted. I don’t know if i’lL buy beadlocks again!

·
Registered
12,268 Posts
Carl, that is way too much work. Duct tape them beads and you can run 0 psi if you wanted. I don’t know if i’lL buy beadlocks again!
X's 2, I ran some nittos with just tape, the beads were fucked and they leaked, but even at 0 psi, I never lost a bead. That was 2 wraps. I think 3 to 4 would be good for looser tires.

The good thing about the tape is it makes the bead fit tighter and kinda acts like an adhesive at the same time.

·
Vendor
975 Posts
I have been hearing about this duct tape thing, guess I will have to try it. I even have some double sticky duct tape I could put on for the last layer. And Yes I have also recently heard that not all tires are sized right, and not all rims are sized right, my rims really only measure 14 7/8".

·
Registered
12,268 Posts
I have been hearing about this duct tape thing, guess I will have to try it. I even have some double sticky duct tape I could put on for the last layer. And Yes I have also recently heard that not all tires are sized right, and not all rims are sized right, my rims really only measure 14 7/8".
I don't know if the double stickie would be a good idea, it may want to stick to the tire and bunch up when seating the beads.

The tape works though.

·
P.B.A.
4,345 Posts
X3 on duct tape. I just had to swap some tires around tried to break the back bead myself hilift under the tow rig. Couldn’t do it. By the series of events I had to take two different tires to different tire shops. Dropped them off and when I picked them up they both comment how hard it was to bust the bead. One they actually had put a slight bend in the wheel trying to get it closer to the bead because they couldn’t break it.

I think a 12.50 tire on a 10” wheel with duct tape inner and outer would hold in 99% of circumstances.

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
double sticky wont let you set the bead, you still have to use some lube.

I did 4 wraps on my pitbulls.... 60-70lbs seating them was a little dicey :eek:

I did 2 wraps on inner and outer bead on my STS and ran them last weekend hard, on sidehills, at 1psi and had zero issues :smokin:

·
Registered
12,268 Posts
double sticky wont let you set the bead, you still have to use some lube.

I did 4 wraps on my pitbulls.... 60-70lbs seating them was a little dicey :eek:

I did 2 wraps on inner and outer bead on my STS and ran them last weekend hard, on sidehills, at 1psi and had zero issues :smokin:
Be careful, there was a guy I read somewhere who did 6 wraps and ended up splitting the bead on a 43 or 47 :eek:

·
Registered
12,268 Posts
agree 100% !!!!

shit beadlocks are almost not needed anymore for recreational

When the snow gets heavier I bet it's going to want to push the outside bead off. But it's definitely worth a shot.
My buddy is running 43 sx on 17s with just tape. He has been running like 2-3 lbs in the rocks to get them to break in. Last trip one bead on the front slipped in like 3/8" while going down hill through a bolder patch. It wasn't even leaking actually, we just added some air to pop in back on.

So I guess that may be another benefit, the beads don't want to just pop, they have more give.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts