Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the final stages of suspension design and I cant decide between a 115" wheelbase or a 120". The front axle will be far enough forward for well over 90* approaches with either number. Im running 404 axles with 46" michelins under a toyota. The links will be fairly high because of the portal axles; 20.5" of clearance at the dif. The lowest point of the frame is 32" so high centering will not be a big problem. Axle width with tires mounted is ~ 85". Im leaning toward the 120" because I dont think getting turtled will be a problem and the rear axle starts to get a little far forward and starts to mess with the departure angle. I dont wont to bob the bed anymore. Ive already taken 10" out and Ill need all the room I can get since I am going to narrow it 8" before it goes back on.

The truck is going to be used in rocky terrain and woody terrain, the typical NorCal stuff. Not too much mud but definently some hill climbs.

With all of this said, I wanted to hear some personal experience from people running 44" tires or bigger and what wheelbase you are running. Likes? Dislikes?

·
Premium Member
3,055 Posts
I did a wheelie on my daughters motorcycle, broke the rear fender. I disliked it. Go longer than that had.

:flipoff2:

:beer:man

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Im 128" with 44s. I have wheeled all summer and have minial scaring on my belly 28" and have never (not yet) been hung by it. The wheelbase shure makes climbing more fun. And the four wheel steer helps with the turning duties.

No way would I want to be over 120 with out both axles steering.

Dan

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dan Dibble said:
Im 128" with 44s. I have wheeled all summer and have minial scaring on my belly 28" and have never (not yet) been hung by it. The wheelbase shure makes climbing more fun. And the four wheel steer helps with the turning duties.

No way would I want to be over 120 with out both axles steering.

Dan
I remembered seeing your rig and was hoping youd post. For some reason you always have the best pics :) . From what Ive heard mog axles turn pretty sharp, so with that taken into consideration 120" is sounding pretty good with the responses so far. A little longer at work then its off to the shop to lay it out.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
I was 112 without RS and 115 with RS. I definitely wouldn't go over 115. I'm gonna try around 108 this time around and see how I like it.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Your rig sounds very similar to mine (toy, 404's, 46s) I'm at 110 right now which was great with the 40 boggers, but I would like a hair more with the 46's. I rarely tag the bottom of my truck on anything and have never been high centered. I think you would be very happy with 115.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I've been running a 129" wb with 45" tires and just front steer. I'm in the process of gathering parts for a new rig and I'm going to shoot for a 130" wb. 53" tires on 2.5t Rocks f&r steer. I like the longer wb for climbing and it gives a better ride.

Gus

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did some work last night and played around with the layout. 120" was working the best when all the factors were taken into account. Now its time to start bustin ass and get this thing done. Might take some pics tonight. Thanks for the replies.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts