Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok, guys, i cut the cruiser in half 2 weeks ago to make way for the 4 link and tube rear. question now is, what wheelbase to shoot for?
I was thinking 108"....
alittle background on my rig,
TBI 350, 700R4, Atlas 4.3, front and rear 60's, 42" TSL's
totally flat skid plate level with the frame rails
leaving the front leaf springs and will have a triangulated rear 4 link with 16" swayaway coilovers.

here is a pic of the cruiser after it was hacked in two.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I would shoot for no less than 112" but I like them long my WB is 125" on Yeller and have no regreats, but I don't compete, just recreation

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeller, what size tire you run.. i am only recreation too..hell, i am 100 miles from any wheeling to speak of:D
I was at 96" and it was way to freakin short for 39.5's and 42's..
i think 125 would be too long for me..

·
Registered
574 Posts
I'm running 44's on rockwells. I just finished a YJ on 42's it's 112" that's about as short as I feel comfortable with 42's. We've done a lot of follow the leader with trucks and the longer ones always go places that the shorter ones don't. Some times the added length makes for some interesting lines when things get tight but when you get on the vertical stuff it kicks a$$.

here are some pics from last weekend of Yeller and some samuri's. Also look around on that site there are some picks of the build up and other action pics that are just fun.

Sand

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmmm, well you got me thinking... one day i will probably step up to 44's... so you think no shorter than 112...

any other opinions out there...

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
I went with 108" on my FJ. I wanted to be longer but felt like 108" is as long as I wanted to go without being too long. Well see how it works out.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
my lengthend cj5 was 100" i liked it alot but once i stepped up to 42's i wanted alittle longer. my new rig (unfinished) is right at 105" long but not too long. just my op.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Im at 127" The extra wheel base was needed for the LARGE cooler. I wouldnt go over 115" with out four wheel steer. The small amount wheel base hurts you in manuverability, it REALLY helps in climbs. When was the last time you were awed at the way someone drove around a tree? But climb a steep ledge that nobody else could!!!:D :D

Dan

Attachments

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
any idea what an extended cab toyota pickup is.. ran with some guys in moab that kicked ass at that wheelbase..

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i was wondering about the manuverability issues with the wheel base..good thing is i have ARB's which help alittle...and front and rear line locks... thinking about going full hydro steering too.. or get the lake rat(west texas offroad) to set me up with hydro assist... he only lives about 2 hours away from me..

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
my 40 is going to be between 115 and 118" on 44s with mog axles and 3 row seating. but it is a trail rig, not a comp rig. i will have cutting brakes f&r so i think i can get it in many places. and make the big ledge stuff to awe the crowd.mike

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
3 row seating :eek: family cruiser..sounds cool though..

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
108" on my Cruiser with 38.5s on it. It's pretty nice;)

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I'm running rockwells and 44s with a 115" wheelbase. There are times when I wish I had a little less wheelbase so it doesn't drag in the middle as bad. I'm thinking about shortening to 110".

·
Registered
574 Posts
How's this for crowd awing with enough WB this is a speed bump.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
is it me but are 44's starting to look small:rolleyes:
i mean i started out at 37's and now i am at 42's... does it ever stop:p
i am leaning towards the 112" mark... since the rear is a 4 link i can play with it alittle in adjusting the wheelbase in or out ...

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I think it must depend on where you wheel cause I can't imagine being happy with 120+ wheel base out here in Johnson Valley! I'm aiming for 100-102, keeping it low, and not too wide. Seems to me woods wheelin' would suck with such a long wheel base as previously mentioned but eastern rock seems to be more open and less winding from what I have seen.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts