Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buggy currently sits on 42" TSLs with a wb of 114", can I go a larger tire without comprimising much of my stability? I am thinking of 44" TSLs or maybe even 47" LTBs.
As of right now the buggy has great stability and feels awsome until the very last second that it flops. I do not want to loose that as my old Zuk always felt shitty off camber. I have enough clearence everywhere on the buggy to clear the tires so that is a non issue.
Am I asking for trouble?
Other measurements are:
front 60 diff clearence=12"
rear 70 diff clearence=12"
belly pan=22"
roof=77"
if that helps.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
yep looks stable to me :flipoff2:

in all seriousness your rig works pretty good now,44's probably wouldnt hurt a thing, but i think to go any bigger than that you would have to start making major mods to the buggy to make the tires clear and to make it work as well as it does.. my last 2 buggies have been 123" and 126" w/b's and so far my current setup is my favorite. to keep offcamber stability you will need to keep your COG low or widen the track width to counter the increase in height to keep performance the same.right now also your rig seems pretty manueverable, but if it gets any longer w/b wide i think you will develope a need for rear steer

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
yep looks stable to me :flipoff2:

in all seriousness your rig works pretty good now,44's probably wouldnt hurt a thing, but i think to go any bigger than that you would have to start making major mods to the buggy to make the tires clear and to make it work as well as it does.. my last 2 buggies have been 123" and 126" w/b's and so far my current setup is my favorite. to keep offcamber stability you will need to keep your COG low or widen the track width to counter the increase in height to keep performance the same.right now also your rig seems pretty manueverable, but if it gets any longer w/b wide i think you will develope a need for rear steer
It also felt great that whole time...did not even have to hook up the cable to get out of that! Hey it looks much better now at least!

Before paint, I lowered the chassis to coil over mounts to gain some lift and clearence so that is not an issue, I gree with your other points though!
I am not opposed to putting on wheel spacers to widen the width either.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
I'm running 44s with a 114 wheelbase.I've only had it out once since I went to the 44s and rear 4 link but feels very stable. of course I went to a 2 1/2" backspaced wheel so I am about 6" wider now. That I'm sure is a big reason for the stable feel.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
My 42" irocks are almost tall as 44 tsl's. i think there just wide. Why make the trails eazier. It take more driving skill to take a rig with smaller tires then with bigger one.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am fine with the money and weight aspect, stability is my main concern.
The guys that I run with are on 46, 49, and 54s and I hate being left behind! I am pretty sure that I have decided on the 47 LTBs, then I will make new links if I am not long enough.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I say go with the 47 LTB's. I just saw your buggy up @ Mad Marks comin back from lunch, you gettin some boom boom for the ride?:grinpimp:

·
Registered
159 Posts
well shit.....I'll try to stop at lunch tommorrow if you'll be around. Didn't know you worked there, otherwise I would have stopped in....

·
Registered
291 Posts
Let me know how that 60 and 70 hold up to a set of 47s. BTW I have 42 iroks on my rig now and I test fitted a set of 44 Boggers and they were actually lighter and just about 2" taller, But much wider.
42s with 3.5 BS

44s with 2.5 BS

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
My buggy seems pretty similar and enjoyed my 44's at 112 wb and 76-77 top of cage. My biggest bitch was the 15 inch sidewalls. I think you will be very happy with the 47's. I would love to have my cc's for summer and the 47's for snow.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts