Pirate 4x4 banner

When do you stack rocks?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know it's been asked before but I'm looking for more current opinions.

When do you stack rocks?

1) Never! Unless I'm broken and then I still prefer to pull rope.

2) Sometimes, but I always unstack after I'm through.

3) All the time. I think all trails should be paved.

4) WTF? There are no rocks at the mall.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Umm isnt this why we have lockers and winches and spotters????? I have no need to stack rocks that why we have the passenger seat:mr-t:

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
I HATE when a good trail gets worn in and stacked. Resolution is a joke now because of it.

The only time I ever do it is if a strategic rock placement will keep things moving. If there is one little area that I can toss a rock in to get a 14b diff over, I am fine with that. If the rock in question is part of a set of rocks that can eventually fill in a tough spot, I unstack it. If it is in a sea of rocks that gets moved with every passing then it will most likely stay.

[rant on]A lot of time here in the SE, you get to a trail that some jackass has tried the optional lines with his 96" wide/130" wheelbase monster truck on 54" boggers. He has wallowed out the approach to the hill so bad because the light buggy on 37's "Just went right up" and he cannot fathom that his beast won't follow so he wails and digs until there are 4' holes that are just too deep for the rest of us to even get on the rock. [/rant off]

I am never scared to tell someone to pull rope or to do so myself.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
I Fawking HATE Rock Stacking. If i wanted a smoother easier ride I would get a fawking ricer and drive down the interstate!

If I can't make a trail without stacking rocks I would rather turn around, go home, tear down my rig and re-build it so next time I can succeed!

In fact I have started a little local club and the first rule in out by-laws is you will not stack rocks and be apart of our club!

·
Rock Stacker
1,497 Posts
How do stack rocks correctly ?
If you unstack an old pile, where do you put them ?
Can you stack to prevent erosion of a trail ?
Do you restack if you knock out a big rock ?

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
If you stack--then unstack...... Remember there are other folks who would rather throw a rock at somebody than have em stacked....

·
Registered
7,630 Posts
obviously most will not want to stack rocks but sometimes when a person is holding up the group because rear diff is getting caught on a root etc... i dont see anything wrong with putting a couple rocks in there to make him progress. Unstacking is the key so no one has anything to bitch about

·
Registered
12,757 Posts
I've never stacked in my life. In my opinion, if you need to stack you either need to improve your skills, buy a winch, build up your vehicle, or all of the above.

·
Registered
14,711 Posts
i would say #1
or #5 - when nobody's looking and i just cant get it. not saying i've done this, but if i did i would still lie about it.:laughing:

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
I've never stacked in my life. In my opinion, if you need to stack you either need to improve your skills, buy a winch, build up your vehicle, or all of the above.
Interesting. I have never met anyone that has not stacked a rock.

Nice to meet you. Great job.

One place that comes to mind is in Katemcy Texas. There are some wicked vertical climbs there. The HUGE granite boulders terminate into gravel and dirt. Over time, in the dry season, lots of folks will try an cool climb like High 5 Hill. Most won't even get up on the rock. In the process there will be a HUGE undercut hole 4' tall leading up to the climb.

So, you deive your happy ass all the way to the back side of the park to try the climb and lo-and-behold as you nose up to the climb that you traveled to try, your stinger hits about where the bottom of the rock should terminate for the climb because someone decided if they could not climb it, damn if anyone else should be able to.

We will all pitch in and fill in the hole so we can try to climb the climb.

Rock stacking or trail repair?

I call it trail repair.

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
In Comps? As much as we freaking can!

On the trail?
When broken.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts

I buy into this theory although I have stacked for other people. I have never stacked for myself. So much easier to just pull rope.

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
I have yet to see you drive on any rocks other than the pavement. Mr Mud butt. :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
Everybody has been hung up on the trail before, whether you pull cable or move a rock to get unstuck who gives a fawk as long as you move the rock back. Sometimes moving a rock can be faster than pulling cable.

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
I know it's been asked before but I'm looking for more current opinions.
The only time I stack rocks is when there is someone on the trail that is under-built, too stupid to know it, and too stupid to pull cable.

For myself..never. Stacking rocks is way too selfish..it may help me but it changes the trails for everyone else.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Interesting. I have never met anyone that has not stacked a rock.

Nice to meet you. Great job.

One place that comes to mind is in Katemcy Texas. There are some wicked vertical climbs there. The HUGE granite boulders terminate into gravel and dirt. Over time, in the dry season, lots of folks will try an cool climb like High 5 Hill. Most won't even get up on the rock. In the process there will be a HUGE undercut hole 4' tall leading up to the climb.

So, you deive your happy ass all the way to the back side of the park to try the climb and lo-and-behold as you nose up to the climb that you traveled to try, your stinger hits about where the bottom of the rock should terminate for the climb because someone decided if they could not climb it, damn if anyone else should be able to.

We will all pitch in and fill in the hole so we can try to climb the climb.

Rock stacking or trail repair?

I call it trail repair.
I agree completely....

How big are the rocks you guys are talking about (in the poll)?

When I throw rocks for guys, I throw like 2 or 3 softball size rocks into a hole. They usually get blasted right out on his next try. If ya need more than that we need to do something else....

What I worry about is that 4 foot'er that I throw across the trail as I hammer the piss out if a ledge. Am I suppose to put it back?

1 - 20 of 108 Posts