Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought an engine from j20mark and i have no friggin idea what year it is. Since he isn't returning my calls i come to you. What i need is a locations of numbers so i can post them and have them deciphered for me. I need this for several reasons. Finding the right oil filter, need to get the right dipstick press in rod for the block and timing stuff. Help me out please.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
There are no ID numbers cast or stamped into the block itself, aside from the big "360" cast into the side of the block under the motor-mounts.

The ID tag was screwed to the front of the passenger-side valve-cover. Needless to say, what's on there is not always related to what the engine came out of.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Yep, My valve cover reflects my 304..

When asking for parts I just ask for 74 360 spark plugs and what not

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That figures, AMC must not have thought that someone may need to replace a valve cover. I took out a 360 from my 87' grand waggy and the block i put in needs an oil dipstick tube. ( the one that presses into the block. The one from my 87' is too small in diamiter and is broken anyway. Any place i could pick one up that is the size i need? Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
Maybe J&W wrecking yard out in Roseville CA area or Rancho Jeep Recycling in Rancho Cordova

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Dipstick tubes are still available from the dealer for under $10. Are you sure that the old one is completely out? Maybe see what year the part-numbers changed, and order the earlier one. I'm guessing that any change would have occurred with the '79 model year, so maybe see if a '78 or earlier application calls for a different number.

Good luck finding a dealer who would work with you on this one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts