Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Settign up the electrical for my fans and I want a switch that will Switch the fans off, to auto, to push and then to pull. Any ideas where I can get such a thing? :confused:

·
Registered
17,975 Posts
ShawnM said:
Settign up the electrical for my fans and I want a switch that will Switch the fans off, to auto, to push and then to pull. Any ideas where I can get such a thing? :confused:

The only ones I could find were either giant boxes, huge rotary style marine battery dissconnect kind of things, or individual switches grouped together-in essence making the "4 poition" switch, a bank of 4 individual switches with 4 seperate buttons:rasta: And they were all $$$

Here is a link to one source I found, which is a maybe.

http://www.web-tronics.com/10wa366.html

Why don't you just have one on/off switch and then a 3 way? That would be infinitely easier to accomplish.

·
Change is good.
35,183 Posts
Check the vendor section. SeaBass sells all that kind of stuff.

Doc

·
Registered
527 Posts
You want the functions to be "off" "Auto - forward" and Auto - reverse" ??? (assuming the "auto" part is controlled by a thermostatic swicth in the system.)
If so, you can do that with a double pole / double throw switch, or use a couple of relays together to get the desired effect.
If you want more functions than that, I'd say it will definatley require a combination of relays and a switch.
Give me some time and more details and I can probably figure it out for ya.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a push and pull fan setup on my rig and an auto thermostat to trigger it on at 190 degrees.

I want to have the option to 1. Turn the fans off 2 Run the puller in Auto mode 3. Run the pusher only 4. Run the puller only. Make sense?

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I assume AUTO is Just a Push or just a PULL? If so, you could do it with a 3 position switch. OFF/ AUTO PUSH/ AUTO PULL. This would be easy to do with a 3 position switch and two relays: one with two sets of NO and NC contacts and the other a single set of contacts. The single one would make or break the power to the second relay ( the OFF setting ) and the second would swap the +/- for the PUSH/ PULL function. When OFF was selected the fan would be OFF, when PUSH was selected the fan would PUSH when needed, and when PULL was selected the fan would PULL when needed.

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
Old Scout said:
Why would you want to reverse the fan?
Might be handy to back out of sumthin like this...

:grinpimp:

Randii (who can't think of a good reason for a reversible cooling fan, either)

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
randii said:
Might be handy to back out of sumthin like this...

:grinpimp:

Randii (who can't think of a good reason for a reversible cooling fan, either)
This will work better:
:flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OS - I'm running two fans, a pusher and a puller.

I think I'll go with what uzi reccomended and use what 1972CJ5+1 stated. My problem is I have very limited space but an extra toggle won't kill me. Anyone interested in laying this out for me? My electrical usually leads to smoking and blown fuses. :shaking:

·
Registered
527 Posts
ShawnM said:
......option to 1. Turn the fans off 2 Run the puller in Auto mode 3. Run the pusher only 4. Run the puller only. Make sense?
So for options 3 and 4, do you mean bypass the thermo and have one stay on???

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Correct.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts