Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a snorkel for a 86 EFI truck, does any one know where to get one or does anyone have one laying around he wants to sell ?

·
Registered
45 Posts
as far as I know they don't make one for the 22re unfortunately but if you search a little you can see what others have done to make a homebuilt snorkel.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
45 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah but I bet if he showed us an under the hood shot you would see that he had to plumb up his own shit off the airbox and hack into his inner fender well to get it to go out.so basically it is a v6 snorkel modded to work for the 22re
Ok, where can i get a V6 snorkel, i can make the rest inside the engine compartment myself, just could not handle the home depot outside look, lol.

·
Registered
81 Posts
ARB. $270-$300 call Around find the cheapest price. Go to hardware store get a stick of Black 2"X24" pipe, two 90 degree elbows, a screw type fitting, a male and female fitting, primer, glue, and hacksaw. Route the pipe up and over the power steering lines. If you don't do the correct trimming you may hit your motor so measure twice cut once. PM me if you need help or some pics.

·
Registered
9,898 Posts
If the home depot look is out for you get a lowes racing model # Fu2.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Heres my Updated snorkel Build: Snorkel Ala Cheap.

Parts Needed:
2.5" Flexible Shop Vac Hose $19.95
Safari Snorkel Head $75.00
2.5" Inch Exhaust Pipe $Free
2.5" Plumbing Cap $1.00
2.5" Pluming Gasket $1.00

First off this is for a 22RE but I would image it's the same for any 4Runner.

You will notice there is a wire loom that comes out right behind the air box

You need to open this up in order to fit the Flexible Hose threw

Heres a PIC of the Drilled out AirBox. The Hose beside is flexible 2.5" Shop Vac Hose. (this stretches out to 8 feet) I cut one end off, and fish mouthed the Other end so the Air Filter fits in the air box. Theres a metal rod Threw the opening to hold it in the air box

Installed in the Air Box

Back Side Sealed up

The Blue Cap is just a PVC Plumbing Cap. I can remove it when Driving on the Road, and CAP it when off road so that I only breath threw the Snorkel Pipe

Part 2 coming up in a minute

·
Registered
288 Posts
Snorkel Parts
2.5" exhaust Pipe 3feet long 30Degree bend at top (Pipe was originally 4Feet long, this is required in order to bend it, and than cut off the top right at the bend. 2.5 Inch Plumbing gasket (The Snorkel head is 3" exhaust pipe 2.5" Gasket goes between the Head and pipe)

Here is the Hole in the Fender (The grommet has since been replaced) The Brown Spooge is Rust Spray

Heres a pic of the section you need to cut out of the Fender do the pipe can fit. (Old Cell phone pic sorry)

Shop Vac Hose from Air Box Stuffed into Exhaust Pipe

·
Premium Member
4,400 Posts
You might try an in-fender snorkel, I put one on my '85 although I have relocated the air box to the passenger side:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Snorkel.shtml#Phase-II

For the stock location, just run all the plumbing in the driver's side fender.

I also plan on ultimately installing a Safari snorkel on my '85. I'll be using a RHD Hilux unit as I need the one for mounting on that side of the truck. If you are willing/able to fabricate the last bit of connection between the air box and the snorkel, most any of the Hilux snorkels can be made to fit. All I will need to do is cut off my current PVC tubing as the appropriate spot and joint it to the rubber fitting that passes through the fender. I already have the Safari parts and other than that, it is a perfect fit:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Snorkel.shtml#Phase-III

I ordered the snorkel through Mudrak in Sonoma, CA. I just perused the on-line selection guide to find the setup I wanted:
- http://www.safarisnorkel.com/docs/snorkel/toyota.html

Or here is a link to a V6/4Runner snorkel install:
- http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/reviews/snorkel/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts